Cigarettes in Rehab

Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to buy cigs once in awhile for my 22yo as. The last time I bought them was when he was in detox a few weeks ago. I told him that as a cancer survivior I just didnt feel right about it, and never to ask me again. But, I didnt want him to leave over cigs. He left anyway (against medical advice) and is now in jail. No smoking there.He told me he feels better now, go figure.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liesagain View Post
In one of the classes they told us that there is a connection in the brain that connects the urge to smoke and the urge to use so they say if after they finish the program....a return to smoking will indicate a return to using
That same pathway in the brain is shared by caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, sugar, and all mood altering drugs.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The decision to buy cigarettes for a person in rehab is up to the individual faced with that decision. We all have our opinions and feelings, yet at the end of the day each individual makes a decision based on what they deem important for their loved one and at that particular time.

Myself, I hate smoking. I am very allergic. As a child I had asthma, mostly due to smoking by parents in the home. My daughter smokes and each time she went to rehab I gave the money to the canteen for smokes. My justification to myself - not the world at large was -- I can win this battle by not sending the smokes, but lose the war of addiction. Sometimes when things start getting stressful for me and the healthy things like exercise and meditation are not helping - I resort to my DOC -- ice cream!

I agree with the rehab - one addiction at a time. Whatever you can live with is -- what you can live with.. No one has all the answers, I certainly don't.. Good Luck and Best wishes
Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mom just love your kid...be kind to yourself, and do what you need to do to sleep at night with yourself! You do not need permission from anyone!
Love and light!~Cheryl