OY! Shoutout to the toughies on the board!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation OY! Shoutout to the toughies on the board!

O.K. Another long day today... I have an appointment in the morning with Divorce Lawyer... then Wednesday, the Accountant... and I've been hearing lots of apologies from AH... He swears that our marriage means more to him than ever drinking again.... I know it's all noise!

However... I do want your hard core thoughts on a temporary separation with marriage counseling. I think a counselor would be able to see (rather quickly) that substance/alcohol abuse is the major problem... and hence "get through"... I do understand that ultimately it is his decision to quit and get help...

I am terribly afraid of investing anymore time in empty words... I do not want to look back years from now and say WTF!

In your honest opinion... where do you see this going? The behavior he exhibited on his last leaving unacceptable and there has to be consequences... and I do not want to go thru the gut wrenching crap again...

All those with experience and have responses that I can consider... please feel free to let loose.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. I am new to this board, so I don't know your whole story.

Are you likely to regret NOT having a separation first? If so, then perhaps that's your answer.

Are there children involved?
Could this actually BE his "rock bottom"?

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

okay....statistically almost no one says they wish they would have stayed longer....after re-establishing statistics show that the vast majority say, in effect, "Why did I wait so long?"
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here, I'll let our friend Hammerhead tell you her story:
This a man for whom even THE THREAT OF DEATH ITSELF couldn't make him stop using.

Do you honestly believe a counselor has some combination of incantations that will make him want sobriety for the rest of his life?

In my humblest of opinions, this is a man who will promise anything to keep his enabler. And he knows exactly what you want to hear.

I agree with cynical one - legal separation is a good start and you can begin to protect yourself. You've been on this rollercoaster for a long time already, hammerhead. If he's so committed to you and to his sobriety all of a sudden, then let him be on his own and attend NA/AA for a year, AND stay clean for that long to prove it. If that day were ever to come, maybe THEN it would be worth the risk.

Just my humble opinion, as one who wishes to god she'd gotten a dollar for every "I'll do anything if you'll just stay..." I'd be taking you all to Maui.

Hugs to you :ghug3
Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
I think a counselor would be able to see (rather quickly) that substance/alcohol abuse is the major problem... and hence "get through"...
I was tickled pink when part of EXAH's parole stipulations was to attend substance abuse counseling.

Of course, I was still in lala-land.

But hey, maybe you'll be one of the unique ones and say "Dang I am sure glad I gave the counseling a shot and he finally saw the error of his ways!"
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My XABF and I went to couples counseling last summer. She did "zero in" on the substance abuse issues pretty quickly, but that only pissed him off. He wanted to deal with "our issues" - - apparently he thought we could actually work on the "relationship" while he was actively using. RIDICULOUS!! I think that going to couples therapy with the hopes that the counselor will "fix" him is typical codie thought patterns. Yes, he probably does need counseling, but it won't help until HE wants it and seeks it out FOR HIMSELF. That's the key. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

You are on the right track. There's a reason you've endeavored to start this process. Trust yourself. It's the hardest thing to do right now............this I know. But you will find that you know the right thing to do. You've just spent so long telling yourself NOT to trust your gut that it will take some time to re-learn it. Go, go girlie!!

We are all cheering for you and your recovery!!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Counseling is rarely successful for someone who remains active in their addiction, but if you feel it may help then give it a shot...without expectations for the outcome.

Staying or leaving is your decision alone, whatever you choose we support you. But please know that you don't have to continue to live your life miserably.

I don't know if you have been to any live meetings, but whether you stay or go I know meetings will help you regain your balance. They literally saved my life.

Most relationships are already over long before the door is closed. Maybe just take an honest look at yours and see if there is anything worth salvaging or if it is just fear that keeps you from leaving.

Hugs
Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by In a Tailspin View Post
My XABF and I went to couples counseling last summer. She did "zero in" on the substance abuse issues pretty quickly, but that only pissed him off. He wanted to deal with "our issues" - - apparently he thought we could actually work on the "relationship" while he was actively using. RIDICULOUS!! I think that going to couples therapy with the hopes that the counselor will "fix" him is typical codie thought patterns. Yes, he probably does need counseling, but it won't help until HE wants it and seeks it out FOR HIMSELF. That's the key. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

You are on the right track. There's a reason you've endeavored to start this process. Trust yourself. It's the hardest thing to do right now............this I know. But you will find that you know the right thing to do. You've just spent so long telling yourself NOT to trust your gut that it will take some time to re-learn it. Go, go girlie!!

We are all cheering for you and your recovery!!
He said he's ready to talk about his use... (referring to it in past tense). I see my codependent ways and will continue to work on them. It's not so much that I want the counselor to "fix him".... but maybe they can get thru to him... show him how his behavior has cost him this relationship IF he doesn't get serious about doing the right thing.

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Counseling is rarely successful for someone who remains active in their addiction, but if you feel it may help then give it a shot...without expectations for the outcome.

Staying or leaving is your decision alone, whatever you choose we support you. But please know that you don't have to continue to live your life miserably.

I don't know if you have been to any live meetings, but whether you stay or go I know meetings will help you regain your balance. They literally saved my life.

Most relationships are already over long before the door is closed. Maybe just take an honest look at yours and see if there is anything worth salvaging or if it is just fear that keeps you from leaving.

Hugs
Indeed what am I afraid of? I can earn my own living, I don't need a relationship to "complete me"... I have found his behavior unacceptable...and I don't like being miserable... good questions.

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Here, I'll let our friend Hammerhead tell you her story:

This a man for whom even THE THREAT OF DEATH ITSELF couldn't make him stop using.

Do you honestly believe a counselor has some combination of incantations that will make him want sobriety for the rest of his life?

In my humblest of opinions, this is a man who will promise anything to keep his enabler. And he knows exactly what you want to hear.

I agree with cynical one - legal separation is a good start and you can begin to protect yourself. You've been on this rollercoaster for a long time already, hammerhead. If he's so committed to you and to his sobriety all of a sudden, then let him be on his own and attend NA/AA for a year, AND stay clean for that long to prove it. If that day were ever to come, maybe THEN it would be worth the risk.

Just my humble opinion, as one who wishes to god she'd gotten a dollar for every "I'll do anything if you'll just stay..." I'd be taking you all to Maui.

Hugs to you :ghug3
Givelove, you and my Dad have been talking... haven't you? My Dad said 2 years... then he said "heck, give him one month to prove that he's worthy of the risk"... I agree with you and my Dad... if he is so committed to me and sobriety.... let him prove it. As for Maui... would love to go.... I'll start my dollar piggy bank today

Freedom I love your sense of humor and I love you for it!

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dont know if this will help or even if this will make any senes but here goes....

I look at things a little bit differently then most. In my heart I believe that the apologies from addicts are sincere AT THE TIME. I believe that they KNOW what their addiction is doing but then comes along this things called POWERLESS.

I am a smoker. While I know its bad for me and I know I should quit I dont. That doesnt mean that I dont WANT to quit its just that the consequences of smoking havent gotten bad enough for me to quit. My kids want me to quit. I dont. But that doesnt mean that I dont love them. Yes, you could say its my choice to continue smoking.

I dont have a substance or alcohol problem so its hard for US to wrap our heads around the WHY's of this disease. I try to compare my smoking to the addiction in order to understand why they continue in active addiction. We think that they should get better because they love us or our families. They dont. That hurts. But it doesnt mean that they dont love their families it just means they are powerless over their addiction and it has NOTHING to do with US. That is a hard concept to grasp atleast it was for me.

As so many of us here I looked for the magic bullet for a long time. When my ex got into treatment I was so happy thought that finally this nightmare was over. But then I saw that he really wasnt working a program. I heard his addiction start talking and it wasnt too long before he was back out there doing it all over again.

I know you want so badly to think that counseling will work, maybe it will, but go in with your eyes open. Go in knowing that the probability is rather low. Especially if he is doing it for you. My ex was "forced" into treatment and he let me know with his relapse that he wasnt ready to quit.

Its painful and sad but this is the progression of addiction.

Good luck to you. Prayers for you and your husband.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Survivor

I am terribly afraid of investing anymore time in empty words... I do not want to look back years from now and say WTF!
The saying "one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again" is a true statement.

The cigarette analogy is a good example. I smoke, I am not stupid I know it is bad for me and will probably kill me but you see I am addicted to nicotine. When anyone, my family, my doctor, etc, tries to get me to see the "light" it just pi$$es me off because I already see the light, I am just not willing to follow it. My choice, like with any addict I may or may not ever quit but what others want me to do means nothing unless I need them to buy me some smokes or provide me with a place to smoke them.

Good Luck....look at actions not words
Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As far as legal seperation - that's a good idea - you do have business together and you're going to have to resolve some of those issues now - waiting until a divorce is finalized can sometimes jeopardize your financial stability in a breakup. There have been more than one partner go off the deep end and run a company into the ground or not make decisions based on what is best out of selfish reasons. So this protects you.

As for counseling - I see nothing wrong with counseling - for one it can help to make a split up go smoother so there's nothing wrong with that but i'm curious as to after all of this why you still want him to "get thru to him." Are you still cliinging to a hope that he will wake up and come around? Sure we all like validation that what we are doing is the right thing but if you're looking to him to validate you then your looking at the wrong place - its you who makes the decision and you who validates yourself. I dont think you'll ever get the real validation you seek from someone you are splitting up with - that just goes against human nature. I also dont think you're going to get a counselor to just jump on your side and slam him - that's a bad counselor if they do.

If you look at counseling as a way to make the split go smoother then you may have success with it but if you're looking at it as a way to proove you are right in leaving or to show him the error of his ways then that will most likely just cause you more pain.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Hammerhead;2232309

In your honest opinion... where do you see this going? .[/QUOTE]

After lots and lots of couples therapy with some one who did not have substance abuse issues (but other serious ones) I will say that marriage counseling has much merit but not in your situation. My exh and I learned how to communicate better but it couldn't fix the fact that we wanted different things. We were just able to discuss those differences in a better way.

In my opinion, what it is most useful for is giving couples better verbal tools to express themselves so that the other person can actually hear what is being said. Then once the couple truly understands each other's wants and needs decisions about the relationship can be made.

Individual work (including therapy, AA, Alanon, etc) is what changes each individual person.

If he was already "working" on himself individually that would be one thing. From everything you've said he isn't.

You have already expressed what you want and need -- for him to remain in recovery and not use. It is actually very simple.

It is not a mystery and does not seem like something any therapist would need to explain to him.

I've read your posts and I know how when an addict is really working their recovery they can be the best human being around. There is nothing like it.

Your husband has not demonstrated that he is able to stay in that recovery mode. My boyfriend wasn't able to do it either. I miss that man. I'm sure you miss the man your husband is in recovery too.

Remember actions not words. Therapy, is in this instance really just words from a different person.

I just don't see this as a complicated issue. I'm sorry. It sucks. I wouldn't bother with the temporary separation/therapy, just from my experience.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As one writing from the other side of divorce, here is my experience....because that is all I have to give.

I took him back countless times. Again and again and again those words "....but I love you" sucked me back in. He was in jail for the SEVENTH time when I finally filed for divorce. He couldn't believe it! He even told my sons that he never thought I would actually follow through. He had talked me out of it so many times, that he was stunned when all his manipulations didn't work.

He spent 18 months in residential rehab (not by choice, it was either that or a year in prison....) During that time I had no contact, no visits, no letters, no care packages, no furloughs, no phone calls, no nothing. No contact was the only way I could make sure that he would finally, FINALLY get the message.

He is out now, and for the first time in his life he has to take care of himself. He had to find a place to live and pay his own bills and fix his own meals. And believe it or not, I am finally seeing him start to grow up.

I firmly believe that if I had stayed, we would have played out our dance the way we always had......him using, me crying, him apologizing and me getting angrier and sicker and feeling more like a failure.

You have to follow your own heart here, but until you stop doing what you have always done, he will keep doing what he has always done. Your dance has been choreographed for years. If you don't like the dance, change the music.

Good luck, Girlfriend.
Babs
Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
He said he's ready to talk about his use... (referring to it in past tense). I see my codependent ways and will continue to work on them. It's not so much that I want the counselor to "fix him".... but maybe they can get thru to him... show him how his behavior has cost him this relationship IF he doesn't get serious about doing the right thing.
Even IF he admits his addiction is causing issues, and even IF he hears a counselor - that would be great! Wouldn't it though? That they see the light? I'm not saying he won't, but what I have experienced is that at the moment when they are promising, apologizing, being accountable, etc. they are being true at that MOMENT, but then... IMO, hope that he does, but don't expect it. Expectations are future disappointments.

My opinion is to let him do his work and SHOW you that he is serious about helping himself. In the meantime, protecting yourself and working on yourself is what you need to do.

Good for you for getting here! Whatever you do, stay true to yourself! You are worth it!

:ghug3
Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank You All...

I appreciate all your responses and I have a lot of work to do. I'd love to respond to each of you... and I may yet this evening as time allows.

Just a note: I realize the way I wrote seeing the counselor and having them articulate the "problem" can be viewed in many ways... I'd like to clarify... I don't have the notion of the counselor siding with me to gang up on him... far from it...I realize the counselor cannot fix him... only he (and God) can do that. Instead I should have said that I am considering going to counseling with him to also help me with this transitional stage.

Sure I'd be lying if I didn't say I have hope... the "alcoholic/user song and dance" stories here have not fallen on deaf ears. You all must know what I'm feeling and only I can fix "that feeling" by taking control of my life and do what's best for me... He is not professing to not drink again and I do not see signs that he wants to quit... he acknowledges that his drinking has been a detriment to our marriage. We had a discussion today about the life paths each of us are on... I made it clear that we are not on the same path and maybe haven't been on the same one for some time. I told him I have begun to look for my purpose in life and I'm not sure where that will lead me to.... but I know God will be involved.

Again, thanks for all your responses.... I have taken each to heart. Bless you all.

:praying

*Meeting with the Accountant tomorrow.
*Attorney said that a legal separation would have no significant bearing in our situation.... either I'm in it or not.

Last edited by Hammerhead; 05-19-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lots of hugs Hammerhead! You've got your plan and you have your clear-vision glasses on - that's all we can do. One step at a time!

(((hugs)))
Old 05-19-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hammer.... know that I am thinking of you. I was with one who said, "I would do anything for you"... of course that anything didn't include not using... because he didn't have a problem, don't you know?!?!?! We went to counseling... mostly because I wanted to be able to say that I had tried EVERYTHING to make it work.... after about 3 sessions and him still professing that he didn't need help because he didn't have a problem.... the counselor basically "threw us out".

She suggested that I continue to see my own therapist if I so desired, but that until we both wanted to work on the issues and work on the marriage, there was no point. So, Long story short... take care of you. Do what is best for you. He will either keep up and move forward or not. Most of us are the "I can't give up" types... but there does come a time when we have to say... enough. I want to be with you, I love you but I also want to be sane and live my life. Again... watch his actions, not his words.

Addiction stinks. But, you can take care of you.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by imallright View Post
Again... watch his actions, not his words.
I went to bed late last night... (after reading all the responses... again) I prayed for God to give me wisdom and guidance. I slept very well.

I want you to know your exact words were on my mind this morning the moment I opened my eyes.... not going to the bathroom, not turning on the t.v.. but your words "watch actions... not words".

What a difference it makes to actually do this... it was stunning to say the least. I worked with my AH today and all I did was watch and his words were like Charlie Brown's Teacher... wa wah wah wah... wa waa...wa wah wa... wa wa and I DID see things just as they are.... Thank you God!

I have so much to do yet tonight... met with the Accountant today... more paper work required.... so just wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing that with me.... and to God for putting it front and center for me today.

WOW.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hope you had a good day. Isn't it incredible when you suddenly have an "ah-ha!" moment. Sometimes I think about how much thought, energy and prayer I put into things with no clarity and then all of the sudden.... it comes. The fog lifts and I get another piece. God works in strange ways. Pay attention to the clues, take it all in and keep watching. It will be revealed.

Hugs to you!