Trusting Again?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trusting Again?

My husband went on his own through an accelerated opiate detox program in December followed by 28 days of rehab. He also has a Naltrexone implant for a year. He is taking his recovery very serious - attends multiple NA and AA meetings a week, 2 separate addiction counseling groups (one that drug tests), and individual counseling sessions twice a month. He talks to his sponsor daily, reads his books, and has even started helping set up and clean up after the NA meetings.

The implant he has needs to be taken out and replaced every 2 months. The most recent one has gotten very infected (2 abscesses). The clinic is caring for it, but he told me the next time he is suppose to have it replaced he is thinking of just getting a shot. For some reason it scares me! I brought it up to him and he said that the Naltrexone implant isn't what is keeping him clean it is his dedication to his recovery that is really keeping him clean. I "get" that, but the implant has insurance attached to it. With the implant I can see the scar from where they've put it. With a shot he could say he went and got it when it fact he might not and I wouldn't know.

I just have a really hard time trusting him after all the stuff that has come with addiction. I'm jaded and just can't seem to give him the benefit of the doubt...I did that too many times and got burned.

When he was in rehab the counselor (also a recovering addict) met with the two of us and told us that it was probably 5 years before his wife could fully trust him. Wow, 5 years! That is a long time to live under a constant veil of suspicion.

I'm not really sure I'm asking anything in this post-I just needed to get that out and see how others have dealt with trust.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Trust is earned, not given. However a program like Alanon for you will help you learn to focus on yourself and how to make your life better, rather than concentrating on him.

He's going to do what he's going to do, no?

He's also right in that it is not the implant that is keeping him sober, but his dedication to recovery.

:ghug :ghug

Last edited by Freedom1990; 05-07-2009 at 02:10 PM.