Drugs and Effects

Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

Drugs and Effects

Does anyone know of any comprehensive list of drugs and their "side effects"? Like... what drug causes the user to have to clear his/her throat (post nasal drip, I'm guessing)? What drug makes the user crave copious amounts of sugar?
We're not sure if Jr is using street drugs or OTC drugs or ... whatever... I guess it really doesn't matter other than knowing if they'll show up on a test

Thanks in advance
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

from my personal experience, opiates caused both those things.
he could be snorting any form of opiate, probably some sort of pill that could easily be bought by someone who is not using it themselves and snorted, which would explain the drip. and opiate use (and withdrawl) can make you crave sugar (because sugar effects that similar pleasure center in the brain)..painkillers crushed & snorted would be my guess. check Jr.'s eyes - are they pinned (smaller) or dilated (larger) - pinned pupils are dead give-aways for opiates and other downers.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cocaine / crack also makes you crave sugar when you are coming down. And it gives you post nasal drip.

How old is jr? If he's under age and living at your house, go buy yourself a drug test at Walgreens and see what it says. Make sure you read the package as some test for more things than others...

Keep us posted. (((hugs)))

PS. If you google drug symptoms you will come up with a plethora of sites. It's a lot of reading and research. You are probably better off just having him tested.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

Thanks for the info - "Jr" is 30 and, yes, he's living at his dad's. Although dh threatened to drug test him, he never actually bought the test... Besides, Jr has a stash of urine in his dresser (and "can't pee if someone is watching..." duh) so he'll pass easily...
I, on the other hand, moved out when it became apparent that Jr was using and dad wasn't making good on his word to kick him out if he used... Last week, after I moved out, he gave him until Fri (tomorrow) to find a place but nothing has happened on that end and, from the looks of it this evening when I left to return to my daughters (where I'm staying), Jr wasn't exactly packing his bags - so I'm guessing he doesn't have any intention of leaving and dear ol' dad is scared he'll end up dead with a needle in his arm if he leaves so he's feeling guilty about giving him the boot...
Sorry for venting but the reality only just hit me on my drive back to my daughter's a few minutes ago... I'm not a happy camper...

Color me "Homeless"
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Street Drugs dot org is a very good site for drugs and effects.

Sugar hits the pleasure center of the brain, so most addicts and alcoholics crave sugar. If you go to an AA meeting, and watch the coffee pot, the amount of sugar used would throw most people into a coma.
OMG, you're not kidding!! He used a half of a pound of sugar in his tea one night, when he was stoned... I almost gagged just watching him pour it. He finished up the other half while we were away for five days... not to mention the GALLONS of hawaiian punch and koolaid... ugh, enough to choke a horse!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing harder than watching a codie trying to control an addict and not being able to control that codie. I'm sorry you are dealing with this and as much as it stinks, I'm glad you stuck to the boundaries for you and got out so you aren't watching this. Good for you. Hugs.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cadence57 View Post
Besides, Jr has a stash of urine in his dresser (and "can't pee if someone is watching..." duh) so he'll pass easily...
Only addicts stash urine, and only to be able to pass a poorly controlled urine test. (usually at work or a pre-hiring urine test). During a good urine test they WILL watch you pee, plus they take the temperature of the urine to make sure it just came from within your body and it wasn't stashed urine.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

Originally Posted by Cadence57 View Post
Besides, Jr has a stash of urine in his dresser
This has GOT to be one of the MOST disgusting things about being an addict. I can't imagine carrying around someone else's urine in my pocket or keeping it in the drawer with my clean clothes.
ugh... makes me shudder.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

Originally Posted by k1a2t3h4r5y6n7 View Post
This has GOT to be one of the MOST disgusting things about being an addict. I can't imagine carrying around someone else's urine in my pocket or keeping it in the drawer with my clean clothes.
ugh... makes me shudder.

It is pretty foul - the one time when I first found it, I actually spiked the container with green tea so that it would test suspiciously and he'd get caught but now, from everything I've read, it probably wouldn't make a difference. Junkies spike it with a lot of stuff to try to fool the test.

Good news today - after I had a meltdown of rather epic proportions with DH last night, he decided to take Jr to find a motel room on the main drag outside of town today, where he will have access to public transportation, NA meetings (daily as mandated by court and probation) and his probation officer. This area is known for housing hookers and junkies but DH said that his living there just makes him 20 mins closer to his drugs - and he realizes that he'll find a way to get them, no matter where he lives, if he wants them badly enough, but if he's serious about getting clean then where he lives should not make a difference. It's Jr's chance to make it or break it... the choice is his. DH feels he's done everything he could to help and it's up to Jr to help himself now.

Whew... I feel so much better!
I really hope that Jr puts his nose to the grindstone and proves to us all that he can do it. He's a smart guy with a lot of good qualities when he's not stoned and he's got a wonderful opportunity in front of him if he chooses to take advantage of it.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Snorting anything over time is going to damage the sinuses. So, if it can be snorted, it's one of many possibilities.

The sugar thing, not sure. My husband's DOC is meth and he ate sugar like it was going out of style. But, maybe it's straight across the board for most hard-core drugs? Since you're altering your dopamine and seratonin levels and I'm pretty sure sugar effects those things.