Money Money Money

Old 02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Money Money Money

I just finished paying another $100 so that Sis can call me from jail. Mom can't talk to her because she gets so upset it causes chest pain. My older sister and Dad are both paying into this "account" as well.

For this "service" it costs $17.30 for a 15 minute call. Then they add in a $6.95 service charge each time you add money to the account. So... I am looking at.. thus far I've put in mmm 180 bucks just so she can CALL me. I know that my older sister has put in at least that much, and I figure that Dad has done about 100 bucks himself. (All of this doesn't count the approx $1500 that's been spent on traveling to see her) So! I was doing some mental math and trying to figure out how much her family is potentially going to shell out over the coming months/years. (Yea I know this is a self defeating exercise,but hey I've run out of fingernails and I'm quitting smoking so .. umm yea.. )

Cost of 6 (15 minute phone calls) = 110.75
Family members paying into fund =3
Potential length of stay in jail/prison = 8-45 yrs
Number of months = 96 - 540 months

So! Let's do the math!

110.75 (per month) X 3 X 96 = $31,896 Minimum
110.75 (per month) X 3 X 540 = $ 179,415 Maximum

Ok keeping in mind that this is simply for 1.5 hours of conversation per person per month with Sis over the coming years. My mind has been boggled!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

*laughs til tears come out* Yep! That's what I told my mother too! And I got.. but she needs to HEAR how the kids are! *shakes head* I know I know.. it was a pretty petty thing to do in adding it all up, however it DID make a very good math word problem for my 15 yr old.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG, I'd definitely go with snail mail. I guess it as a d*** good thing when my RAD was in jail it was only 15 minutes away and she was only in for 6 mos. What boggles my mind is all of the $$ made on a/drug related issues...hmmm. $ to the court, $ to the lawyer, $ to pay fines, $ for car blower, etc, etc, etc. Yikes!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think it is petty......cash
Old 02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sunflowers,

Congratulations on making these calculations early in her incarceration.
It took me two months to do this same math exercise (AS in jail).
We figured out it's cheaper to drive an hour to the next state to visit AS in jail.
And we have what we laughingly call a new family "field trip": stop at Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee and an oatmeal cookie and drive to jail. Lol.

Oddly enough, my family has gotten closer on these rides. HP helping us heal on wheels.

Resting
Old 02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I say use the stamps and save the $$$ for the kids, I would encourage your family to do the same. They need to understand she did this to herself and at this point she has no care that the whole family if laying out big bucks to chat............really she doesn't have anything better to do, she's in jail while the rest of you are worried about the children and picking up the pieces of her life............I would drop the calls. If you can't get mom and dad to go along with this, then ask them to limit it to once a month.
I wish your family the best, it must be so hard.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really think that what we'll do is once she's sentenced etc we will seriously limit the phone calls and rely on snail mail for the majority. I showed the figures to my parents and older sis and I don't think the MATH had caught up with them yet! I am planning on putting enough in so she can have perhaps two phone calls a month with her kids IF the courts don't institute a "no contact" clause as part of our custody agreement.

From what we've heard though the particular judge in this case shows no mercy. Once she terminates parental rights.. that's it.. they are terminated to include contacting the children. We were in court a couple weeks ago for what we had hoped would be the adjudication hearing for the kids, (it got continued til late March =( ) and listened as the judge issued a restraining order in a similar case. The mother kept trying to call/write her children even though her parental rights had been terminated. It squished my heart to have to watch it, but rules are rules.

I've talked to Sis and tried to explain to her what termination of parental rights MEANS. I still don't think that she really understands. I even told her to prepare herself for the judge to say no visitation/ no contact, and she was only confused. *sighs* We'll get through it. That's what I keep telling my Mother and my own family. We'll get through it!