My Cell was played with!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Cell was played with!

Please excuse me while I throw off some steam, but I am so fed up. Users just toy with the most minute yet invasive and frustrating parts of one's life! I made the horrible mistake of giving my sister my SSN which happens to be necessary to access my cellphone, and POOF! The name which appears on the screen changed! My name disappeared! I am assuming her methamphetamine ex did it- that she passed the information on to him in conversation and he went on with his usual, but she may have been involved. Who knows???? I don't! She used to be involved directly with his games. She has supposedly gone through miraculous changes, but now I just don't know. Now I think enough of her rough edges remain to continue to stand off. She is already complaining about having to "behave well" at her new job, which isn't a good sign. And she stays in contact with the user ex STILL, years following their split. So, if she begins to become too exasperated, there are the drugs for her. As it is, I do not feel convinced she has stopped since she is continuing to see him upon occaison. I don't know what is going on. Years ago, we went together to a college reunion of mine overseas AND SHE BOUGHT CODEINE. THAT was her thrill. A big codeine stash.

The name used on my cell was actually of a person who lived in her town, and just moved. I feel like screaming!

For those who have read, thank you for your patience!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm sorry this happened, Angel, but think it's good you discovered it early.

I would contact my phone people and change the account entirely or cancel it and then open a new one using all new numbers and a security code you give nobody.

My son once rang up over $800 in calls before I discovered he had my phone.

Never trust an active addict, a clean addict new to recovery or anyone who trusts and associates with an active addict. Protecting ourselves is the only way to ensure we do not get drawn in.

Hugs
Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Angel, "SSN"??? You are not talking about your Social Security Number, are you? Please tell me "SSN" stands for something else.

If it is SS#, please report it lost immediately. Your SS# is associated with about everything in your life.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Angel, I agree with both Ann & Pac. You need to change that phone immediately and if it was indeed your social security number...well....d***you need to take care of that ASAP.

Chris
Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, it was my social security number. And her ex also in the past had access to my investment accounts. I took care of that. What should I do? If I was to change my number, wouldn't it create problems all over?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have changed the code already. What would reporting my Social Security Number lost do?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Contact lifelock.com.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You might want to do a credit report also.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. I am going to Lifelock.com right after this and I am going to look up going about the Fraud Alert. That looks great. I know which office in town to call about it tomorrow. Those and the credit checks sound better. The advice you have given me looks fantastic. I'll let you know what happens. Lifesavers!