It feels good to make progress...

Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It feels good to make progress...

I've been in counseling for a little over a year now since the depression had really started to slam me hard again somewhere around late November of 2007. I look forward to it because my counselor is a nice guy, and I actually used to live across the street from him, and actually carpooled with his wife when we were both taking a class at a community college 35 miles from here.

Anyway, I was telling him about my oldest AD and the saga of her offer of 'help' to take me to the doctor to get my drain out after surgery recently, and the pain pill debacle, and I was laughing. He looked at me and said he wished he could just can up my 'detachment' and give it to some of his clients because there were some that could not grasp the concept and were driving themselves nuts.

That really made me feel good, and so often I fail to recognize the progress that I have made. It's nice to hear it from someone else.

Anyway, it lifted my spirits, and I actually found the energy to finish up organizing and 'decorating' my office, if you will, for this college semester since I had been sidetracked with my youngest's arthroscopy and my unexpected surgery.

Please pardon the crooked picture and bulletin board, but of course I don't notice these things until after I have taken the pictures! LOL! My mom has a lovely artificial ficus tree in her house that has tiny white lights on it, and I swore one of these years I was going to grab some Christmas lights after the season and on sale, and decorate my office with them, and I did! I spend the majority of my day in this room since all my classes are online, so I wanted it to be organized and appealing.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It looks awesome, Freedom. I love little white lights. They create such a special mood. Good for you!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Devon, your space looks great! oh, and the dandy brush is a nice touch,...just seeing it, is making me homesick for that heavenly horsey smell
Old 01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love it! So conducive to focusing on your studies surrounded by things that appeal to you. Is the calendar one that has pics of yours babies? It looks like it.

You have definitely come a long way and I'm so glad that you share your ESH with us all!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grateful2b View Post
Devon, your space looks great! oh, and the dandy brush is a nice touch,...just seeing it, is making me homesick for that heavenly horsey smell
I was wondering if someone would spot that!

You'd be hard pressed to find a room in this house that didn't have something horse-related in it. There's actually a bit hanging behind me on one of the book shelf brackets.

Amber (youngest AD) got some nice pictures of Sonny (her horse) and his pasture mate, Pedro the donkey last week. I'll have to post those over on the Cafe Central board.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Amber (youngest AD) got some nice pictures of Sonny (her horse) and his pasture mate, Pedro the donkey last week. I'll have to post those over on the Cafe Central board.
oooh, yes!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grateful2b View Post
oooh, yes!
Check the user created social groups-'horses' thread
Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

DeVon,

Your office looks very cozy. I love Christmas lights also, I still have some of mine up. I think it helps me to avoid that depression of taking down the holiday decorations.

:ghug3
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greeteachday View Post
I love it! So conducive to focusing on your studies surrounded by things that appeal to you. Is the calendar one that has pics of yours babies? It looks like it.

You have definitely come a long way and I'm so glad that you share your ESH with us all!
I received that calendar as a gift from a friend who is also a greyhound owner and her girl is actually featured on two of the months. It's a 'Hounds in Hats' calendar and is put out by a greyhound adoption organization!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Actually Freedom I think you'd make a good counselor yourself.

I always read your posts because they're always right on the money, written in a caring way, and representative of "someone who knows".
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
i LOVE zen spaces! creating spaces that reflect back to us peace, tranquility, serenity.....US. even if nobody else GETS it. our home is this eclectic hodge podge collection of the things that matter to us...the brett favre stuff, the two "cheese" coasters hank brought back from wisconsin for me, the speakers for our stereo that were my deceased first ex husband's, the metronome that was my gramma's, the blue and white checked curtains in the kitchen/entry way....the ashtray we use in the alcove area (the only place we smoke in the house) that was hand painted for my mom when she was president of the chamber of commerce in ketchikan a million years ago.....the abacus my 2nd ex husband gave me.....the ridiculous wooden man in a barrel thing that hank found at a garage sale, when you lift up the wooden barrel, the man's doolie wanger sproings out on a spring thing (years ago when he and his long term g/f were in jamaica and he spotted one from a street vendor, she said oh hell NO - it cost all of two bucks)......stupid silly meaningful stuff.

devon, thank you for sharing your growth with us. you've come a long way baby!!!!
Oh my God did you make me smile sharing all that! What a visual I got too!

Speaking of cheese and Brett Favre, I had a long-distance relationship back in the mid-90's with a fellow biker who was an engineer. He brought me the coolest t-shirts from little mom and pop bike shops up in Milwaukee and my very own cheesehead gear to wear for Packers games!

The relationship didn't last, but that cheesehead gear did for a long time. Then enter my first greyhound Bart, who hastily disassembled that in very short order in a gazillion pieces. Sigh. It was a very sad day in DeVon-ville that day. LOL!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an eclectic collection of 'things' that no one else would understand! :ghug :ghug
Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about not realizing the progress we make and needing to hear it from someone else. I had an old friend tell me just today that I'm "so different" than I used to be about my AD. All I know is I'm having so many more good days, and even the bad days are better than they used to be!

Your work space looks good!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hikeon View Post
Actually Freedom I think you'd make a good counselor yourself.

I always read your posts because they're always right on the money, written in a caring way, and representative of "someone who knows".
Thank you so much for your kind words! I actually did some checking into addictions counseling and right now for the state of Kansas, the only requirement to get my foot in the door is 18 credit hours of specific classes, not the associate's degree as I had originally thought. I do know a community college about 70 miles from me is offering the associate's degree and all online, which is always a huge plus for me.

As it stands now, I have signed a contract with Vocational Rehabilitation to complete the associate's degree in medical information technology (they foot the bill on any expenses the Pell Grants don't cover, but books/tuition were completely covered this semester with the grant).

Ideally I'd like to get back out in the work force as a Registered Health Information Technician, then work on the classes for counseling. The better paying jobs are definitely with HIT, which is sad because counseling is an invaluable service too.

IF I could find a counseling job after completing the educational requirements for that field, I'd love to work in counseling part-time, and then do the medical billing/coding from home.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((DeVon)))

It's great that your counselor pointed out your progress. I think that sometimes, we don't even realize we're making progress until someone else points it out.

I love the office! My mom always called her collection of memorable things "treasures" and so do I. She threatened dad's life, more than once, if he even thought about throwing out any of her treasures.

My XABF sold most of my stuff while I was using and got locked up. The rest is in storage, and I don't even know what's there, but I'm sure I still have quite a few "treasures" of mine and my mom's there. Just in case, though, I'm already collecting more

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-26-2009, 02:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Freedom,

I have read about the degree you are pursuing, health information technician, and wish you would tell me more about it. I will be able to retire "officially" in 5 more years, but will still need income. I had thought about pursuing this degree for my retirement years. Can you tell me how difficult the course work has been? Is it something a person can handle online while still working at a full-time job outside the home, like can I go to work every day and do my online course work when I get home and on weekends? How long does the degree take to finish? Where do you hope to be employed when finished?

It sounds like a fabulous opportunity when I research it online, but I want the real skinny from someone "in the know." Thanks, Freedom!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love your office, your spunk and your uplifting attitude.

I think it's very important to have a place in our homes that is "our space" where we can go and just "be". My office was my space before we moved, and now that we're in our new place, smaller than the last, I am creating my own little corner by a window overlooking the water, where I can read or light a candle and meditate, or just look out at night and see the stars.

We codies can take on everyone else and their space far too quickly, so preserving a quiet place for ourselves is one way to find our peace.

Thanks for sharing your space here, it's lovely and I hope you have many peaceful moments there.

Hugs
Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What a nice space for your work! Good luck with the term!

HG
Old 01-26-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! I'm so happy for you that you got some validation on your progress and i'm especially touched that you are considering using what you have learned to help others. For some people once they really learn something they have to share it - this is the true nature of a giving spirit.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceteach View Post
Freedom,

I have read about the degree you are pursuing, health information technician, and wish you would tell me more about it. I will be able to retire "officially" in 5 more years, but will still need income. I had thought about pursuing this degree for my retirement years. Can you tell me how difficult the course work has been? Is it something a person can handle online while still working at a full-time job outside the home, like can I go to work every day and do my online course work when I get home and on weekends? How long does the degree take to finish? Where do you hope to be employed when finished?

It sounds like a fabulous opportunity when I research it online, but I want the real skinny from someone "in the know." Thanks, Freedom!
Check your PMs.