best friend quits oxycodone cold turkey today

Old 01-03-2009, 12:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

best friend quits oxycodone cold turkey today

My best friends mother called me this morning and told me her daughter admitted to being addicted to oxycodone. J and I would hang out all the time she got into an accident back in july and was prescribed vicodin her boyfriend was a "recovering" oxy user, but never really quit. She would fight with him about it all the time. She stop calling and hanging out with her regular friends around august. My brother has been in recovery for 3 years so I know what it's like to love and help an addict. She finally admitted to using 6-8 30mg oxycodones she says since november but i think longer. She wants to do it cold turkey but is willing to go to a detox cntr if it gets too bad to handle. I've been giving liquid tylenol and some bendryl to help her sleep. She jusst cries and shakes and kicks her legs and sweats a lot. She can't go to the bathroom. I check her bp and pulse every couple of hours... it's been running a little low. Can she die from the withdrawals.. she says she feels like she's dying and it breaks my heart. She sleeps about an hour and then wakes up crying hitting herself and shaking, am I doing this right? She's thrown up a little... but my nerves are shot and I'm scared. How long will this last and what else can I do to help her? She has been going tp a pain clinic amd last filled a script on the 26th for 60, she gave 45 to her boyfriend who was going on vacation so he would have atleast 6 a day, so he wouldn't get sick. She had one left in the bottle when she told us.
:praying
Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Brand New Life

She needs to be rehydrated with powerade or gatorade even pedialyte-we are not allowed to give medical advice but please seek medical attention if you can. This can be life threatening if her acid-base levels become unstable. Also she is in a state of dope shock so her body is very very vulnerable. I would seek help immediately. Just my advice...My ex was an addict and I was told when it got that bad-seek help first ask questions later.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree. Detox can be dangerous, even fatal, if not done properly. I would suggest a professional detox could help her better.

Good luck to both of you.

Hugs
Old 01-03-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've spoken to a couple of old friends who have gone thru opiate wd and they all say that oxy wd can't kill you that benzo wd can... she's doing really good. 2nd day of wd and she's just vomiting and pooping a lot. Our next step is to get a little bit of food in her... we're keeping her hydrated with gatorade and 7 up. I'm not looking for medical advice, just someone who has seen wd symptoms and can tell me what to expect. Since I've never been addicted to anything. I don't know how she is feeling.

Thank you for your replies
Old 01-03-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeybee31 View Post
I've spoken to a couple of old friends who have gone thru opiate wd and they all say that oxy wd can't kill you that benzo wd can... she's doing really good.
That's the same thing my RAD was told until her BP dropped during a medical detox. She has low BP to begin with and needed an IV + meds to bring it back up. It was VERY alarming to the medical staff and they were ready to transport her to the hospital.

I'm glad your friend is doing better and please don't think twice if something alarms you.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We ended up bringing her to the hospital and then to a detox center yesterday. We got to visit her today and she was a whole lot better. I'll visit again on wednesday and I'm sure she will look even better. Thank you all for your kind words.