odd question

Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

odd question

Does anyone know if certain drugs cause a body to have a strange odor? My bf has had a very strong stench about him and it's not body odor. It's like something coming out of his pores. He tells me I'm crazy but it's definitely him that I smell. It's sort of a yeasty smell. I can't describe it. Actually, almost like the smell of when you pop the foil seal off a bottle of aspirin.... I smell it on the hand towels when he washes his face too.

He "claims" it's the suboxone... but I smelled it on him before he goes this last script for it. Could it be his body ridding himself of toxins from a month ago?

His reaction when I ask him why he smells gets defensive as if I'm accusing him of something. So I don't know what to believe that comes out of his mouth.

Yes - I know what you are all thinking... and yes I am trying to work on my codie issues. But I'm also concerned bc maybe this odor is a sign of a different medical condition like liver failure.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I noticed I have that scent if I have taken a lot of tylenol for a flu or bug
Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's not taking any otc meds... except maybe Tums... hmm gotta look into that.

I'm just concerned bc I'm not sure if I'm the only one who smells it - he obviously doesn't smell it on himself and it smells like literally toxins coming out of his pores... and I'm worried if it might be an underlying condition or just his body detoxing or dare i say... using a differnt drug. eeps.

However there are other theories like me being unattracted to his pheromones, or his eating too much red meat. i can't seem to find anything on the internet except meth use coming out of pores and i KNOW he's not using meth!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you mentioned that you know he's not using crystal because it's one of THE worst drugs on the planet. I do know that drug smells given off by the body can be picked up by dogs. I have a Great Dane that will not go near anyone that does meth, which is good because I can then avoid them too. A friend had a Pit that she said couldn't stand tweekers either. Don't know if that helps you at all, and just hearing it from me isn't scientific, but maybe it's something else to look into. Could see if you can find info on pets and drug odors.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

Certainly people who are on antibiotics have a smell from that. People who eat a lot of garlic, onion, spicy food will have a different body odor, too. (Just a nurses observation)
Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my boyfriend's breath was smelling different. we thought it was the cigarettes at first. but he complained more and more of stomach pains. turns out he has a few ulcers and the drugs were masking the pain... the doctor said that is why and where the smell might have been because now that he takes his stomach medication, things are fine. (his doc was opiates, and a side effect on this are ulcers.)
Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to Understand

Bella, I am by no means an expert, but I was talking to my very good friend who is a police officer and she was telling me about her brother who is addicted to meth. She said that she knew instantly that he was using, I being very naive about all of this, asked her how and she told me that "the first thing you notice is the smell." So I have no idea, just passing along what I was told.

Hope it's nothing, good luck

KM
Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

Forgive my sarcasm, I thought my AS has bad breath because he had managed to undo 18 years of dental care with a few years of methadone....Yep, I think that does it!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
turning red!

yeah wenchris, i know what you mean...
my boyrfriend used to have pearly whites (he actually still weirdly does, eventhough not as sparkling ahaha) but when you look closer you can tell it's just a "facade" and definitely showing the signs that he didn't go to the dentist since i met him 9 years ago! (and now he is blaming his rebah that they won't let him go to the dentist..oh well!)
back to the subject
i did notice too that, one day, my boyfriend got a really weird smell which i also can't describe. I just know that, before, when he sweat, i didn't smell anything and i thought "lucky me" ! but then suddenly (it seems) his body was giving out some weird smell.
I mentioned that to him and he thought i'm dreaming & crazy.
I didn't solve the mystery, sorry, and i can't even recall if during that time he was using or not (too many to count) but one day it just stops.

take care x
Carine
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah - it's so weird... my friend's bro who also is an opiate abuser actually went to Bikram Yoga (where they do yoga in intensely hot heated rooms to sweat) and said that his rehab told him that the opiates get deposited into your fat cells and they need to be detoxed and sweated out. My BF has been doing a little working out like push-ups/sit-ups, so that could very well be it.

But it's such a chemical/yeasty - non-BO smell... and its not bad breathe either, although my pops has diabetes and you cven smell his illness... but this is different.

I'm gonna chalk it up to him working out and the toxins of the years of opiate use is being sweated out like garlic comes out of pores.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my son had that smell before i knew he was on crack, before i knew what crack was. he was working in the hospital & i thought it was something he had been working with & got the odor. i smelled it on & off for months & the smell disappered. maybe it was crack, maybe it wasn't.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've seen many threads started here over the last few years regarding drugs and the smell...Seemed liked it crossed lines - opiates, meth, crack and alcohol, etc. So I suspect, just based on anecdotal postings here, that yes, drugs do sometimes cause the addict to give off certain scents.