graduation gift HELP NEEDED

Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

graduation gift HELP NEEDED

Well my sister, an addict from childhood now in her 40's is graduating from her program tomorrow, she is sober 2 yrs., I will be the only one going & want to bring an appropriate gift. As she is just getting to know herself, let alone me really knowing who she is I have no clue what to bring. Dinner & cake will be served so going out to eat is out.
SOS
Sisterslove
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In a way, and this is my opinion, graduation day is the scariest thing... it's the day the addict must go into the world without the controlled environment they are in. I've never seen people give gifts, so if you decide to give anything I would make is small to be discrete. I would maybe get her a nice journal, and a nice pen. Your support is priceless.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

What about a nice new journal with a pretty ribbon to write down her brand new life? Maybe a beautiful pen to go alone with it?

When my best friend was alive at her last attempt of rehab she graduated and I brought her a teddy bear with a box and inside that box were pictures of me and my children so she knew who loved her no matter what. She kept that box on her dresser. She loved that present. I don't know who has it now that she's gone.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

How thoughtful of you to want to show your love and support. I think the idea of a journal is nice or a motivational daily reader perhaps. I know my daughter loves her daily meditations books and has a desk calendar with thoguhts for each day that she keeps on her desk at work.
Wishing you both the best.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A journal sounds like a great gift. You could also give her a gift certificate for a new hairdo or her favorite restaurant. Hugs and congratulations to your sister. That took a lot of hard work. Marle
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

What a thoughtful brother you are. How lucky she is to have you.
A gift to celebrate the new her would be wonderful. Manicure, pedicure, massage a bible. I'm a sucker for any pampering. I like the other suggestions as well. Prayers
Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How about a pretty but simple necklace? Something she can wear everyday. I attach meaning to all the jewelry that's been given to me over the years. I have a little bluebird pin my grandfather gave me when I was little girl. It's not especially attractive and I don't wear it much - no one who sees it on my dresser knows what it means to me. It means SO MUCH to me!! I see it every day in my jewelry box. And whenever I see it or hold it or (rarely) wear it I feel a deep connection to a person who believed in me in my chaotic childhood. I feel his love.

Peace,
B.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bernadette, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! Something that she can wear and be reminded not only of her accomplishment, but of the love that the gift came with.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

One vote here for the necklace
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have no brilliant ideas but I wanted to stop in and say thank you from all those trying to make it for your support. I don't know you nor your sister but this touched my heart. Graduation day is so scary. She is about to leave a safe place and go back out and face real life. The fact that you have her back is phenominal IMO. Good luck to the both of you. Stand behind her. She's going to need you.

V