mil recovering, need advice

Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mil recovering, need advice

Hello. I am new to this site! I just needed somewhere to go with information and advice for me and hubby. His mother is addicted to pills, for 8 years now, and alcohol. She has been out of rehab (this time, being the 4th) for 2 months now and seemed to be doing SO good this time. Until 2 days ago. Then she started "not feeling well" again, and falling asleep at random times,that's where it always begins. They put her on Soboxone this time and she tells us that she can't take any narcotics or drink alcohol or it will make her violently ill. Is this true? And she admitted to taking Tylenol PM yesterday, we don't know how many for sure, but she said 3. I am fairly new to all of this, we have only been together 3 years and could really use some advice!! THANK YOU
Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

glad you found this site hopeful. You'll meet tons of great people on this site who can offer you good advice and just support you when you need to vent and aren't feeling very good emotionally.

As for your question about suboxone, the drugs effects only pertain to Opiates. (I am a former heroin addict so i know a great deal about suboxone) It doesn't make you ill at all if you take opiates or any other drug while on it, what it does is block the effects of any type of opiate//opiod. This meaning if you take a suboxone pill, for the next 24 hours if you take any opiate(oxycontin, vicodin, percocet, heroin etc) you will not feel the high. You will not get violently ill but you will not get high either. As for other drugs it has no effect on them. Meaning that if she takes a benzo(xanax) or drinks or does some cocaine the suboxone will not do anything and she will get high.

Suboxone only helps for opiates, it cannont block any effects of other drugs or alcohol and will not make her sick. Hope this helped and again welcome to the site, let me know if you have any other questions about opiates or any drugs in particular
Old 09-12-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. i am sorry you are going thru this. it will not get any better. the best thing to do is for you & your husband to let her go. she will get clean when she is ready. it is hard but it is best for you & her both.read around & stay with us. prayers for you all.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks!!! but...

thank you for the info on the subox! I kinda figured as much, but wanted to be sure. However, is there such a drug that can be taken by an addict that will make them sick? And if so, would it work on any type of drug and or alcohol? I'm sorry to seem so ignorant, I am just absolutely clueless!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

you aren't ignorant at all hopeful, I wouldn't look at it that way at all. I WISH I was ignorant when it came to knowledge about illegal drugs and alcohol instead of the walking encyclopedia that I am(lol). It's much better to live a normal life and not know anything about these things and the problems of addictions.

As for your question, the only drug that comes to mind is Antabuse (not sure if thats exactly what its called) but its a pill that is taken for alcoholics. and if they drink while on the pill they will get horribly sick(not fatally sick but they will feel like it) the whole point being that they learn to not drink at ANY and ALL costs while taking the pill and that in turn gives them enough clean time to where they learn the tools needed to stay off booze for good without the pill. Unfortunately the pill only works for alcohol , not any illegal narcotics, and im pretty sure that is the only pill out there that does it... a pill hasn't been made that can do that for any narcotic yet. Hopefully in the near future there will be one

Hope that helps and hope everything works out for you, your husband and his mother. Keep us updated ~~ Scotty