My sister

Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My sister

I'm not sure where to post this as it is weighing heavy on my heart tonight. I am a recovering alcoholic. My baby sister is 46 years and a meth addict. She's been on some kind of drug since she was 12 years old. She's 46 now and homeless.

My brother, a recovering meth addict himself who has been clean and sober for almost 10 years called tonight. He's letting our sister sleep in a shed on the edge of his property as she has no where else to go. She's lived with him in the past but was bringing "scumbags" over to party so he asked her to leave.

As she has burned every bridge to family and friends she really is living on the streets. I haven't spoken to her in several years and that was at a funeral. She's very charming, intelligent and can be fun. But her need for drugs makes her steal anything and everything she can get her hands on.

Several years ago she was arrested and court-ordered to spend a year in the
Salvation Army Rehab. According to her, she got little addiction education but was made to work in the shop. She told me then she had no intention of getting clean and this was basically a "vacation" from drugs.

I realize there's nothing I can do for her but hold a positive thought that she would get sick and tired of that life.

Brother and I talked about getting her into some sort of rehab. I used to have a few connections and might be able to call in a few favors and wangle her a place in an inpatient facility at no cost. I offered her this in the past and she declined. So, I guess there's nothing more I can do.

If you all would be so kind to pray for her to have a moment of clarity, I would greatly appreciate it. I believe it's all that's left to do.

She had a long history of being enabled by our parents. And other addicts she hangs with.

It breaks my heart to know she's in such a bad way.

I do believe I have detached with love. But it still hurts. I think I have a degree of anger for being cheated out of relationship with her. And sadness that there's little I can do.

We have little family left. It's just me, our brother and another meth addicted sister. We have no idea where the other sister is.

Please think of us and if you are the praying sort, offer up for her.

Thank you.

Love,

Lenina
Old 08-28-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Lenina)))

Welcome to SR!

I'm sorry about your sister, but you've come to a great place...full of friends/families of addicts with a ton of support.

It sounds like you are doing well with detaching and not enabling, but I know it still hurts.

The addict won't get help until they're sick and tired of the using life (I'm a recovering crack addict). Even though I KNOW how addiction took over MY life, it's still hard when I see someone I care about going down that same path.

The 3 c's...we didn't Cause, can't Cure it, and can't Change it.

Sending you and your family big hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your powerful post brought back a flood of emotions for me, and reminded me just how badly I hurt my family when I was using.

I am in recovery, and although I abused a multitude of drugs and alcohol, meth ended up being my drug of choice the last two years of my active addiction.

Last night we had our monthly birthday night at the meeting and I celebrated 18 years clean.

Every time I bow my head for a moment of silence at our meetings, I will say a prayer for you and all of your family.

:ghug3
Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((((((Lenina)))))))))

My heart hurts for you. I have 3 siblings that are addicts. I have tried everything at least twice with each one of them.

I will say a prayer for both of your sisters.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You and your family have my prayers.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BBD

You have my prayers and well wishes that something can get ahold of your sister and help her with clear thinking soon. Its so heartbreaking and as you said~~~you have been cheated out of a fun relationship that every sister should have....smiles, Bonnie
Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Congratulations on your recovery time. I am so sorry for your two sisters.
You already know the deal, so of course I will say a prayer for them both.

Glad you are here......
******....}}}
Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hugs & prayers coming your way, for you & both your sisters.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lenina

I will remember you and your family in my prayers - certainly.

I know how hard it is when even though you have let go with love, there is still a sadness of what could have been that doesn't go away completely or easily.

I pray that somehow someone or something comes into your sister's life that gets her away from those drugs long enough and shows her what's possible without them.

I't hard hoping and waiting for a miracle, not knowing if it will happen in this life or the next. I have faith that a miracle will happen for all meth addicts, even if those of us who love them are not around to see it.

I don't know what it is with meth, but my beautiful niece has also been messing up her life with it for about 5 years now. I am actually glad that she will be in jail for the next 8 months because at least she'll be out of the snow and ice over the winter... I don't wish jail for your sister, but I hope she wakes up before its to late for you to have a relationship with her and that she finds a place to stay where you don't worry about her so much.

Prayers ... God Bless.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your prayers and support. I swear, she's like the cat with nine lives. She's dodged many arrests as she's such a slick talker. To my knowledge she's only had the one arrest that led to four months in jail and then the year in the Salvation Army. I don't even think she got probation. I'm told she quit the meth for a while but continued to smoke pot.

A family friend gave her a job but she proved too unreliable and he had to let her go. During that time I did pay for her car registration so she'd have a way to work. Of course, the car had some mysterious trouble and I didn't pay for the repairs as it was sounding a little fishy to me. It wasn't taken to a regular shop, just to a "friend" of hers who "worked on cars" and needed the money for "parts". I hated being so suspicious but I just didn't believe her.

Again, thanks for all the support and prayers. I truly hope she gets better. I've about given up and wait to get the call from police it's finally over. It makes me incredibly sad.

Lenina
Old 08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sending prayers up.