Went to church today (it's been a very long time)

Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to church today (it's been a very long time)

I haven't steped foot in church in about 5 years. And the last time I did it was only one time and about 15 years since the last time before that. It was definitely a good thing for me. I needed the peace that it gave me. However, I live in Texas. Around here they build these massive churches and it is "high-tech" and "modern". I must say that although I plan on continuing to go to church, I am still "church shopping". I am only 39, but I love the traditional services of my childhood. Not the new fangled services. They just aren't right for me or my AH. I love a simple service rooted in the bible. A great service where the pastor preaches from a story in the bible. The actually had "inerpretative dance" there today with a soloist. mmmm, nope, not me. Give me a good ole' fashioned shouting preacher man with a congregation yelling amen back.

I still found the prayers very healing, so I don't regret going. But I just realized what I am looking for in a church and I am glad I didn't get "pressured" to join. On a different note, my 5 yr old took to Sunday School like a duck to water. He had a blast. So I will definitely keep searching. But like I said, I still very peaceful and grounded from going. Next, we are off in a few hours to go back to my AH's rehab he just got out of last week. Sunday's are family day with a bar-b-que.

Have a great Sunday everyone. I just wanted to share. Oh, by the way, I will still be going to the church in a sense since my Al-anon meetings are there 3 times a week.

:praying
Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I started going back to church about two months ago. I had not been in a very long time.

I always leave there with this overwhelming feeling of peace. My AH has gone a couple of times with me as well. My priest is a recovering Alcoholic and AH had met him in AA and was so impressed with his testimony that he wanted to here more of what he had to say. Even though my AH is still using, I see that as a small hope that maybe somehow someone is making a difference in his life. But thats not for me to decide.

I have felt better about letting God take control over my situation since I have been attending church. I'm not an every week church going person but I do find myself wanting to be there more often then not these days.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I was just talking to one of my best friends who is an avid church goer about Church asking her how to pick one,, etc.. I think I want to start going.

I listen to this one guy on myspace, and he always pumps me up after I listen to him...

Good for you. Interesting how many different styles and kinds of Churches there are out there, it does get a bit overwhelming...

:ghug
Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenEyedGirl39 View Post
I must say that although I plan on continuing to go to church, I am still "church shopping". I am only 39, but I love the traditional services of my childhood.
I'm kind of in the same boat, the only difference is I already found a church that combines my native spirituality with my traditional upbringing. Unfortunately it's about 1500 miles away. This is one of the times I wish I was geographically closer to my 'people'.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't went to church a while though I belong to one. I have wanted to start going again, but I hate to be one of those people that just shows up in a time of crisis. I know rumors are probably swirling about ah's and I's seperation. I feel like if I show up there they'll all be like "oh, it must be true what I heard." Very shallow thinking, but I haven't gotten the courage up to go. I do listen to a local service on Sunday on the radio though.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was soooo glad that I went to church yesterday. We had individual prayers for healing......so I broke down in tears and let the pastor do the praying. I feel so much better.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

As many of you know, I'm Catholic. A while ago we got a new pastor and he redid the entire church. He updated it against the wishes of many of the parish. It wasn't pretty. Since then, I went church shopping and found a wonderful church that is more traditional (but still post-Vatican II...not one of those breakoffs). Even better, I have since discovered they have a lunchtime Mass.

I miss going, and will start up again. It's wonderful for me to have that inner peace that I only find in Church. I find peace among both the Mass, the sacrament and the congregation. It was worth the time I took to find a new church where I found these without all the "non-church" issues such as gossip, changes that distracted from the Mass and so on. I will keep you in my thoughts as you prepare to find a church that meets your spiritual needs. Take your time, enjoy your meetings in the building and if you want, come a few minutes early and pray inside the church itself. I used to go and just study. Being in the presence in the Lord was enough for me.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So true.

So true Alera! You know, God doesn't need a gimmick. At least not for me. I want to go to a church with some humility and good scripture. Let me find peace and solice in church. Not a 3 ring circus.