OT: Back from my trip... funny story and more

Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking OT: Back from my trip... funny story and more

And I am happy to report that ras did not come here while I was gone. My mother in law, however, came by twice to check on our cat. I had told one of our neighbors to lookout for my sister and had given her a description of that car, but forgot to mention that Matt's mom was going to come by and that this was okay.

So, Matt's mom comes into our house, and not two minutes later, our next door neighbor, who is elderly and very vocal, comes running in to interrogate her. She says, "Do you know Matt and Courtney? Ya know, they're on vacation, so you won't find them here." I don't know how Matt's mom convinced her that everything was okay. Maybe she showed her the key we gave her.

Good to know that our neighbors are on the look out, but I must admit it scares me that she would do that; what if it had been someone who had bad intentions?

I did enjoy the trip, though. The best part was when we went to stay a night with Matt's grandparents on his mother's side, whom he has not seen before this since he was 4, so 21 years ago. There was a big feud between his mother and grandmother, and his mother refuses to speak to the grandmother. Matt is afraid that she might not forgive us if she knew we went there. But it was worth it to see the looks on their faces when we sat in their living room.

And just the night before, we had been talking about how it bothers him that none of his family on his dad's side likes to hand things down, that they sell it off to strangers instead, and how he wishes they would let him know if they are selling things so he can buy something he may want before a stranger would get it. He was really upset, thinking about how he very well may not have anything that will be handed down from them. He doesn't want anything expensive necessarily, he just wants a piece of the family, if that makes sense.

Well, when we were getting ready to leave his mom's parents, his grandfather pulled him aside and gave him some tools that belonged to him that he did not want anymore, including a hammer that has grandfather's name engraved in it, and one of his hunting rifles. I thought Matt was going to cry.

The rest of the trip was just as peaceful. No major incidents, no problems to speak of, other than the fact that we spent about $100 more than we planned to; but if this is the worst that happened in the whole trip, I'd say we were blessed indeed. It's good to be home, though. I've never been so glad to sleep in my own bed again lol... and I missed you guys while I was gone. :ghug2
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you had a good time and your sister didn't come over to your house.

When my grandmother was in her 90's, and had to move into, first an assisted-living facility, then a nursing home, she started giving things away. She had a daughter (my aunt, I suppose) that died at the age of 12, a few years before my mom was born. I have one of the rare pictures of her. G'ma went on to make it to 101-1/2, but there was no fussing over her things because she had taken care of it all ahead of time.

Glad you're back!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a problem-free, great trip and what a blessing. Now you will be refreshed and ready to tackle your students. (Not literally, of course) Hugs, Marle
Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds wonderful, emotional, energizing, etc. All good things! So glad it all worked out and you came home to "safe drama" - I agree, sweet of your neighbor to be so conscientious, but what if ...

Welcome home!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rozied

So glad you had a nice trip & your hubby got to visit with his grandparents. The older you get the more you realize how important family is. I am sure your hubby will treasure the tools his grandfather gave him. Its a shame there is hard feelings btw his mother & her mother. I have no doubt she will regret it one day.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, unfortunately she is just an overall bitter person. She hated me with a passion until about a month before matt and I got married. I did everything I could to be nice to her, and she was determined to have none of it. She also wants nothing to do with my parents because they are "psychos who need to get their s*** together," in her exact words. So, while I have respect for her as my husband's mother, I have a hard time caring all too much what she thinks. In fact, Matt didn't originally want to go see his grandparents because he was afraid his mom would disown us if she found out. I told him it wasn't fair that he had to have or not have a relationship with the rest of the family based on something that has nothing to do with him, and he agreed. I hope she does come around, but all I can do at this point is pray about it.