frugal living

Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

frugal living

I can safely say that living with an addict, can be well.. EXPENSIVE... From them stealing your money, pawning your things and you have to buy them back, and those regretful times you loan them a few bucks thinking they were really going to spend it on what they say, but don't.

So...

What are some tips for getting back on track financially. Any ideas or tips are helpful. Even obvious ones to you, may not be obvious to me or others.

Please share...

MANY HUGS AND LOVE!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amalgamate activities. For example: if you're going to the gym, stick in a few other things on that trip too. I got dog food, dropped off the mail, picked up groceries on the way home from the gym. Saves on gas.

I've gotten into the habit of avoiding coffee shops too. Funny what $1.75 coffee 5 days a week can amount too (think $455 each year....OUCH)

Also, don't live with addicts :P
Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband lost his job almost a year ago and we tightened our belts. Did not use the Mastercard unless we really needed to. For entertainment we took our dogs for a nightly walk. Stopped buying unnecessary things and cut back on eating out. He shot two deer during rifle season so we ate venison most of the winter. Shopped at Walmart for our food instead of the more expensive local grocery and we bought less expensive cuts of meat. Instead of going to the gym, we bought a cheap Walmart exercise bike. We did a really good job, actually saved some money and then our daughter decided she wanted rehab. Almost as expensive as the drug addiction. But at least the money is being spent for something positive. I hope that things start looking up for you. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Suze Orman has a saying along the lines of people who feel less ( good about themselves), tend to buy more (to compensate).
Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I am really having to cut corners now. I turn off lights I usually leave on like in the kitchen. My AC is on 78 no matter how hot the Fl sun gets. I turn off fans now when I am not in the room. I turn off hot water in the om after my shower and back on that night about 5, also my water heater was set at like 250 which is dumb, I turned it down to 150. I only use one tv mostly now with AD gone, so I unplug that tv I don't use. I didn't know TV's pull electric even when off I have three.
I try to shop sales only now what with groceries being so high. I would like to give up food but fear I would get to skinny Lol. Thats it for my tips
Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

littlebird,
I don't have any other suggestions, just wanted to bond. I've been trying to pick up a part time job to help get myself out of my "self inflicted help the addict" debt. But haven't had luck there either. I'll keep looking though.
Joan
Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can nickel & dime your way to savings - if you like gum or candy or some sort, buy in bulk (like at Costco) and not for a $1 @ at the store. If you like good coffee, buy good coffee for at home (I get 1/2 & 1/2 too, it's my treat each morning - good coffee with cream) and don't grab a cup on the go - or use your own to-go cup. Pack your lunch, or if you're close to home and hungry, run home to eat instead of driving thru. I have a Trader Joe's fairly close and keep their rice-bowls in the freezer at work for quick lunches - really inexpensive and good. Anyhow, that's the type of stuff that helped me anyway. Also, my other little "trick" for myself is I don't carry cash. I'm not about to pull out and use my ATM card for less than $5 (my min.) so I tend not to get that little something - otherwise, $20-$40 is gone, poof, and I have no idea where. Also, by using my ATM as cash/credit card, I can go online and look and see where I've spent my money - grocery, drug store, gas, etc. It's all right there and easier to keep track of. I don't use my credit cards unless it's for a major purchase I know I'm going to pay-off or have a plan (like my washer & dryer).
Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

well, this is a good one for sure!!!
when I go to the gym, I get a shower there, I eat alot of chicken rather than beef, chicken is always cheaper and always on sale somewhere, not to mention I can think of a zillion ways to cook chicken. my AC is on economy. I turn the water off while brushing my teeth(you know you can use a gallon of water by leaving it on while brushing).
I unplug everything unless I'm using it. I wash in cold water, only white undies and socks get the warm water. pack lunch almost never buy it. I shop at sams club to buy in bulk. As far as saving on gas, thats where I go wrong, I drive everywhere, I guess I'll have to work on that one.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I save money by biking to work, or taking the bus if my boyfriend doesn't have to work that day. We always hit the farmer's market on the weekend and get local produce/meat. Meat isn't always cheaper but you can usually get good prices on fish and vegetables where I live. And I usually bring my lunch, but I try to visit the Bulk Barn (not sure if you have those) or make snacks instead of buying them.

We used to go to the mall 'just to look around' in the evenings, and I would sometimes hit up the stores on my lunch break. Now I go for a walk at lunch and we work in our garden, visit the dog park, or watch some TV in the evenings. When I see something on sale, I think to myself, "do i like this because it's nice - or because it's on sale?" and I'm usually able to leave without buying anythign. Asking myself before buying anything has probably been my #1 way to save money.

However I still buy coffee everyday! Nothing expensive, but there's no way I could cut that out of my budget.