Went today for Laurens follow up from surgery

Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went today for Laurens follow up from surgery

I took Lauren this morning for her appointment with a family doctor about her finger, it was the first time I have seen her finger since part of it was amputated because she got liquid fire on it while cooking meth. The doctor we had never saw before, he came in and just started bitching about meth, rehab and all of that, I told I understood but if he knew the hell I had been through just to get her to go!! Then he wanted to check her potasium level but after that Lauren was starting to get ill and wanted to leave right then so of course instead of making a scene, I told her to go get in the car while I paid.... I then got the doctor back in the room and explained to him that she had been to rehab and that Iunderstood but it just made me feel ill and helpless at that point!! Even though he is a doctor I don't think he truly understands!! I wish it was that simple of just sending her to rehab, I told him she is 19 and my hands are pretty much tied, he asked Lauren if she lived with me, she told him she just bounces around and It finally hit me, the way she looked this morning and the way she was acting..was just like an addict, she could have gotten dressed, put make up on but instead went in her pajama pants and looked junky, but I wanted her to go to the doctor, we go next Monday to see the surgeon who done her surgery but after todays adventure, I just hope she will go but who knows?? I just hated the way he looked at both of us!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some of the most ignorant reactions I have received came from MDs.

So many, don't know.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

We can only hope that one day they will understand without going through what we've gone through.

We are strong, We are non judgemental, We are compassionate.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It should be required for them to spend some time at treatment facilities during their internship.
I don't think that many of them have a clue how most of us live...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sorry and I understand completely!
susan
Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been there and done that. Jen's PCP's office sent her a letter and told her that they could no longer provide a service to her. In other words they ditched her. She blew off so many appointments and never called to cancel. They always looked down on her and me when we did go to appointments. They always made us feel dirty and disgusting. She never dressed up for appointments....she was always a mess. So you reap what you sow. I on the other hand was always clean and make-up, etc. Because of her they also treated me like low life. I am the exact opposite of that. Oh, the places she has taken me to. Thank you God for today. For today it is behind me.

I just wanted you to know that it is not only you. I know just how you feel. I hope for Lauren's sake she continues treatment for her finger. Obsessed, somehow we survive these things. I don't know how, but we do. Take care, hon.

Luv...........Lo
Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He judged you guys, which he never should have done. He didn't know anything about her history or case, and he assumed that you were the stereotypical, enabling mom, no thought or consideration to where or who you really are.

As someone in health care, I apologize. I hope that I never was so cruel in the past to my patients or their families. I must say, though, my personal experience with an AH has changed my practice 100%! I knew about addiction intellectually, but not personally. I now understand what other families are going through, and I'm sure it makes me better at what I do.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

obsessed,
The Dr. wasn't ignorant, he just has no idea. I'd call him one of the "Earth people" Those are the people who have not lived with addiction, and have sure all, cure alls, and don't have a clue.

Hugs to you, Obsessed, this addiction thing is mind boggling to say the least.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When you say Lauren was getting ill......did you mean physically sick or behaving badly? I ask because something made the Dr. want to check her potassium level. And I know having low potassium can wreck havoc with your body. Hope she's ok.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had to go through this...Unfortunatley when someone hasn't lived it, too often they lack the understanding and compassion. It's so hard not to think about what people think, but I find as I grow in recovery, I'm focused more on my own actions and less on others opinions of me. If I am comfortable with me, I'm better. Hugs and prayers for you and Laruen
Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Obsessed .. I don't think you mentioned ... is your daughter's finger healing properly? I know you were worried about her taking care of herself in the midst of everything else you all are going through.

****{Hugs}}} Unfortunately, there are many who will never understand. Thankfully, we have found many here who do.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am constantly shocked at how much doctors don't know about addiction.