Alanon Meetings

Old 03-09-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon Meetings

Hi my new on-line family.. Question.. I am looking for Alanon meetings in my area.. Are they the same meeting whether or not your loved one is an alocholic or substance abuser?? AND I ssee alot of AH SH.. What are the abbreviations? So my son that is addicted to drugs... AS for addicted son?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Al-Anon, Nar-Anon and CoDA are three similar fellowships that are about us and dealing with our lives. Check your area and try a few meetings to find one that works well for you.

And yes, AS is addicted son. There is a list here somewhere, think at the top in the "Sticky" threads that explains the short forms.

Let us know how the meetings go, okay?

Hugs
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

people at al-anon meetings will make references to "alcoholic", "alcoholism", etc. and my feeling is that drug addiction can be a bit different than alcohol addiction. so it may feel more comfortable or helpful to surround yourself with those of a similar feather.
but, really, we all talk about, and work, the same steps. the idea is to put your recovery first - that's universal.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found different insights in different meetings. Since we keep the "focus on us" and rarely talk about our "qualifier" at meetings, I have found both meetings worthwhile.

In the Nar-Anon meetings in my area, I could be more open about the details of my life.......but I found fewer people with long-term recovery.

In the Al-Anon meetings, I had to be careful not to frighten the older ladies with the smarmy details of my situation, but the number of long-timers with huge amounts of experience, strength and hope was far, far greater.

One time someone in an Al-Anon meeting told me I didn't belong there, and I just smiled at them and told them to, "Keep coming back."

You will know when you have found your home group. It will fit like a glove and you will feel the love.

Babs
Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info!! I am going to see if there are the other meetings in my area. I did go to an Al-anon meeting last night, which I was BOOB and cried almost the whole time. It felt comfortable for the most part, but not sure if it was my "fit" I felt a ton of emotions after the meeting, my husband seemed a bit weird that I went cause he is TOUGH and F it nothing he can do about it.. So he is not ready to deal with it, but whatever.. I can only help myself right now.
Thanks again!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I cried for weeks at my Alanon meetings in the beginning - it was the only place that I really "stopped" long enough to feel things. It was years of bottled up emotions.

I agree with what has been posted - just keep going - and you will "feel the love". Those meetings saved my life. Mostly I just listened and could relate to what was being said - and finally, I took the risk to talk to someone after the meeting. I was amazed that she really understood what I was thinking. Of course, because she had/has been there.

The closing reading at most Alanon meetings includes: "...you might not like all of us, but you will come to love us in a very special way, the same way we already love you...." I still love to hear that read.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler