Lunesta to get high???

Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lunesta to get high???

Hi all.
My AH is taking Lunesta prescribed by his doctor. Does anyone know if he can get a "high" from it if he takes it during the day?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is a sleeping pill.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I know it is a sleeping pill but I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can take it during the day. Can you build a tolerance? With my AH history, I am just surprised his doctor prescribed them.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've been on lunesta for quite some time .......of and on. For me .....I would never take it during the day.

It is a non-narcotic sleeping pill and I'm certain you cannot get high on it. I did build a tolerance to it though.......it just doesn't work for me anymore.

It's not a controlled substance -- I've never heard it being a problem to prescribe it to an addict. Hopefully it just helps him get some good sleep.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lunesta is a controlled substance. It is a class 4 controlled substance. High doses of it in studies were shown to have similar euphoric effects at high doses similar to valium. At normal doses, it probably doesn't normally have this effect....but I would think that it should be used very very carefully in the addict because it is very similar to many sedative type medications that are abused.
Perhaps he could ask his doctor about something like Rozerem. This is a prescription sleep medication that works through melatonin receptors. Completely separate from most other prescription sleep medications which are sedative like medications.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Thanks SunnySue. I'm sorry I gave the wrong information. After I read your reply I think I may have heard that info about it but forgotten. I guess I was thinking of my experience with it and also the fact that it's not working for me anymore.

I found this info here: Lunesta side effects (Eszopiclone) and drug interactions - prescription drugs and medications at RxList
Abuse And Dependence

In a study of abuse liability conducted in individuals with known histories of benzodiazepine abuse, eszopiclone at doses of 6 and 12 mg produced euphoric effects similar to those of diazepam 20 mg. In this study, at doses 2-fold or greater than the maximum recommended doses, a dose-related increase in reports of amnesia and hallucinations was observed for both LUNESTA and diazepam.

The clinical trial experience with LUNESTA revealed no evidence of a serious withdrawal syndrome. Nevertheless, the following adverse events included in DSM-IV criteria for uncomplicated sedative/hypnotic withdrawal were reported during clinical trials following placebo substitution occurring within 48 hours following the last LUNESTA treatment: anxiety, abnormal dreams, nausea, and upset stomach. These reported adverse events occurred at an incidence of 2% or less. Use of benzodiazepines and similar agents may lead to physical and psychological dependence. The risk of abuse and dependence increases with the dose and duration of treatment and concomitant use of other psychoactive drugs. The risk is also greater for patients who have a history of alcohol or drug abuse or history of psychiatric disorders. These patients should be under careful surveillance when receiving LUNESTA or any other hypnotic.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The drug company is pushing this as "non-additive" but the literature says its not recommended for people with substance abuse history's. As a recovering addict who loved and abused all types of sedatives and sleeping pills in my active addiction, I'd never go near it. Tell him to try melatonin 5 mg.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Please remember that any change of use or brand of prescribed medication should only be done under the supervision of rhe person's doctor.

Abusing a prescription or "trying" to replace it with something else can be a dangerous thing.

Hugs
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunately, I just found out that my AH, in his recovery, is now abusing Lunesta - as I suspected. But what can I do? It's available to him and easy to get from his doctor. He'll take whatever he can get. And I thought he was getting better this time, too. I just wonder WHY isn't he afraid of taking all those sleeping pills??? I guess I will never understand.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

is it possible for you to inform his doctor that he's abusing them?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You should report abuse...but you can't get high off lunesta...it's a sleeping pill...does he sleep all the time? BTW, I tried Rozeram, the non-addictive one and it was totally worthless..a placebo at best. Can't see how anyone could abuse those drugs to get high...only to get low.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I can't see it either barbdee but apparently it's possible.

I tried Rozeram too and it actually made me feel sick in the morning. From what I understand it works very differently than lunesta or ambien. This time I did my research and Rozeram is not a controlled substance.

From their website:
Rozerem is the first and only prescription insomnia medication that:[1]
  • Is nonscheduled––not a controlled substance and can be prescribed for long-term use
  • Targets the normal sleep-wake cycle
  • Has shown no evidence of abuse potential in clinical studies
  • Does not promote sleep by CNS depression
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I found some good information about sleep meds in general at the link below.

Insomnia Medications
Old 02-05-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hard to believe abuse of those drugs. In actuality, tylenol PM works much better. Or nyquil.
There are some mental disorders where sleep is a most important goal. Without enough sleep, these peeps go crazy.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbdee View Post
You should report abuse...but you can't get high off lunesta...it's a sleeping pill...does he sleep all the time? BTW, I tried Rozeram, the non-addictive one and it was totally worthless..a placebo at best. Can't see how anyone could abuse those drugs to get high...only to get low.
Whether or not you can get high off Lunesta, I won't argue. I have never taken a prescription sleeping pill and am not an addict. But you can still abuse it and use it addictive-ly. During my boyfriend's active addiction (prescription painkillers), I had bought a bottle of 100 capsules of Benadryl. It's the only thing I take if I have trouble sleeping. Benadryl is what they put in Tylenol PM to make you sleepy. When I finally went to open the bottle a couple weeks or so later, over half the bottle was gone. MY BF had been taking 4-5 at a time. Yes, it wasn't to get "high", it was to go to sleep, but taking them like that is still an addictive behavior. Maybe you are using the word high to mean from speed/cocaine/etc. But a lot of drugs are CNS depressants, not stimulants. So I can very easily see how someone who enjoys depressants would abuse sleeping pills.
And with Rozerem, I hadn't known how it worked, but someone above said it works through Melatonin receptors. So I am thinking for someone who is used to the sedative effects of a sleeping pill, where you just get knocked out, Rozerem wouldn't work anywhere close to the same/as effectively. I don't know who they are marketing Rozerem to. Maybe it's supposed to be an alternative for people who have never taken sleeping pills. Cause I don't see how someone could go from taking a hypnotic-class sleeping pill to Rozerem and have it work effectively for them. But, again, I don't have any personal experience with taking sleeping pills, so I don't know!
, Vanessa
Old 02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have no prob sleeping since starting Seroquel XR...sleep 10 hrs. straight.
No clue as for others, except rozeram doesn't work.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've taken everything on this list except for Sonata. I'm interested in that now. I wonder why Seroquel isn't on the list. Is it specifically for insomnia or is it typically used to treat something else.

Medications Used to Treat Insomnia

Listed below are some medications commonly used to treat insomnia.

Ambien: The original version of Ambien works well at helping you get to sleep, but some people tended to wake up in the middle of the night. Ambien CR is an extended release version. It helps you get to sleep within 15 to 30 minutes, and the new extended release portion helps you stay asleep. You should not take Ambien or Ambien CR unless you are able to get a full night’s sleep – at least 7 to 8 hours.
Lunesta: Lunesta also helps you fall asleep quickly, and studies show people sleep an average of 7 to 8 hours. Don’t take Lunesta unless you are able to get a full night’s sleep as it could cause grogginess.
Rozerem: This is a new sleep medication that works differently than the others. It works by targeting the sleep-wake cycle, not by causing central nervous system depression. It is prescribed for people who have difficulty falling asleep. Rozerem can be prescribed for long-term use and the medication has shown no evidence of abuse and dependence.
Sonata: Of all the new sleeping pills, Sonata stays active in the body for the shortest amount of time. That means you can try to fall asleep on your own. Then, if you're still staring at the clock at 2 a.m., you can take it without feeling drowsy in the morning. However, if you tend to wake during the night, this might not be the best choice for you.
Benzodiazepines: These older sleeping pills (Halcion, Restoril, and others) are useful when you want an insomnia medication that stays in your system longer. For instance, they have been effectively used to treat sleep problems such as sleepwalking and night terrors. However, these drugs may cause you to feel sleepy during the day and can also cause dependence, meaning you may always need the drug to sleep.
Antidepressants: Insomnia is a common symptom of depression. Thus, some antidepressant drugs, such as trazodone (Desyrel), are particularly effective in treating sleeplessness and anxiety that's caused by depression.
Over-the-Counter Sleep Aids: Most of these sleeping pills are antihistamines. They generally work well but can cause some drowsiness the next day. They're safe enough to be sold without a prescription. However, if you're taking other drugs that also contain antihistamines -- like cold or allergy medications -- you could inadvertently take too much.
Vanessa: Good point about abusing a med. Even if it's something that doesn't get you "high" it can still be abused.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Chloe: I hope everything works out for you. Have you considered reporting the abuse to his doctor?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I wonder why Seroquel isn't on the list. Is it specifically for insomnia or is it typically used to treat something else.
Seroquel is not specifically a sleep med. It is actually an antipsychotic agent, usually used to treat schizophrenia, but can also treat bipolar or mania disorders.

I have given it to patients a few times for sleep (I'm an RN).

They think it affects the histamine receptors (kind of like with Benadryl) and that's why it makes you sleepy.

A lot of times meds usually used for one thing can have other effects. The "sleeping pill" they prescribed to my RABF in rehab (which he is still taking) was Elavil. Which is actually an antidepressant. I've given that to patients at night too. It kinda has a dual use as an antidepressant and a mild sleep aid. I just thought it was weird that they pretty much gave it to him saying it was a sleeping pill, not even giving him the full info that it actually was an antidepressant that would just help him sleep as well. Kinda feeds the whole addict mentality by saying "here, take this pill, it will make you sleep." Haha.

Vanessa
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Like Vanessa said..Seroquel is an atypical antipyschotic..like Ablify, Geodon, etc. It's not meant as a sleep drug. Just happens to work as a mood stabilizer. It was only just approved for schizophrenia...not FDA approved as a mood stabilizer though all the pysch docs use it that way. I do however sleep 10 hrs. a night on the XR version. Been a lifesaver for me!