Dazed and Confused...

Old 12-25-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dazed and Confused...

Hello everyone,
My wife is in her 4th week of rehab. for rx. meds. I have known about this problem since March of this year. I will be with her the final week of her stay, week 6. I still love her but feel so betrayed. Bought pills with credit card I didn't know about, close to $10,000. Also LIES,LIES,LIES. My attitude is up and down. We have had no contact other than letters since she was admitted. What can I expect during my week there. I want to forgive and be supportive but I feel like a huge wall is between us. Any advice?
Thanks.....
Old 12-25-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My daughter is my addict. She is also addicted to opiates. I went through all of the emotions in dealing with her disease. The emotion that took me the longest to get through was that sense of betrayal. How could she do this to me? The only way that I could get through it was to let myself be angry as long as I needed to in order to finally reach a point of acceptance. My daughter is still using, but I no longer am angry at her. It took me a long time and a lot of soul searching and working on myself before I could come to a point where I realize what she is doing is not personal. Addiction is a disease and unless the addict gets help for their disease they will continue to progress in it. There are symptoms of addiction and one is the lying. They must lie to protect their addiction. My daughter is sick and I now know that she is not doing this to me. I have learned to detach from her illness and still love the person underneath, but I will not tell you it is easy. If you can get to meetings, they will help you immensely. If not maybe you could see a therapist and if not that come here, read and learn. There is life after addiction whether your addict stays clean or not. It is a struggle for both. But it can get better. Hugs and welcome, Marle
Old 12-25-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Advice-

Go to Nar-anon or Alanon.

That is the ONLY effective way to help someone you love who is addicted to drugs or alcohol.

Her getting out of treatment does not guarantee she will stay clean, and even if she does, the first year of sobriety is very difficult to deal with.

You must learn what this disease is about and does to the entire family. Welcome to this forum, glad you are here, keep posting, and keep taking care of YOU first!

Hugs!!