OT: Turkey Brine?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Turkey Brine?

I would like to do a brine for my 19 lb turkey this year. I heard it is amazing. What the heck do you put the bird & liquid in overnight? So far I can only come up with a plastic storage box wich will mean I have to take a shelf out & use the whole top part of my fridge. Any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know Anvil swears by this I know in cafe central in the pennys thread she just posted how to do this. I will try to find it and post it here for u.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I do it, I put a clean garbage bag, into a cleaned out kitchen plastic trash container. Put the bird in the bag, then the brine, close and seal the bag-leaving it in the trash can, and then put the whole thing out in the garage, or on the back porch.

I live in Michigan, so the temps outside are about the same now as inside the fridge.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pennys thread 46 post 428 I'm sure we can post it over here too.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Here is anvilhead's post from Penny's

wanna moist juicy bird? BRINE it first......solution of water and kosher salt, place the thawed bird in there for a few hours at least (i'd say at least 4), then remove, don't rinse, pat him dry and continue to prepare..........brining does some magical molecular thing to the meat......might add a bit to overall cooking time....but just trust me on this one.............

other suggestion is to oil him up, inside and out, wings and everywhere, put him in a HOT oven for the first 30 minutes, then cover the breast with foil and reduce heat and cook according to weight chart. the theory is the high heat helps sear in the juices etc......
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alton Brown on Food Network just did an entire show on how to do a turkey. I am sure you can find it if you do a search on the food network website and search brine turkey.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((Helpus))))))

Stopped at a gf's house last year to have a snack, lol, and she had
brined her turkey, too. It was awesome, I have to say.
I asked her where she kept it and she said she had it in a ice cooler all night.
So, there ya go. Put it in a cooler.
Good Luck and Thanksgiving Blessings to you and yours...
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I don't just put salt in it, I put slices of orange, apple and rosemary in with the brine.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it. The recipe I stumbled on has veg broth, sea salt, roesmary, sage, thyme, savory...oppps whats that? Well mine might not have savory. It says to bring to a boil, remove from heat, cool to room temp & then add ice water. Sound good? rahsue, the fruit sounds wonderful. Does the bird cook a little faster with a brine?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

no it doesn't cook faster, it just has a really good flavor and is moister than just cooking it. I got mine in the brine (hehe) now.