introduction & thanks

Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

introduction & thanks

I'm new here, and just wanted to post my thanks for the stickies, "If You Love Me, Let Me Fall," and "What Addicts Do." I found the posts about 2 weeks ago--it was exactly what I was looking for. I think that I am no longer in denial about my DH's pain killer addiction. I am at a loss as to how to properly act in this situation. I was mostly raised by my mom (when she was up to it), and she is a barely-functioning drug addict. I wasn't raised with my dad, but he is an alcoholic. I learned bad habits early on. I was really good at denial and covering up addictions. Now that DH's addiction is out in the open, I don't know when I should open my mouth, when I should close it, etc. Before, I only knew silence and denial. Last week he started going to a therapist. He has been honest with her, the doctor, and some of his older/close friends. He claims that he has stopped using. I know he has tried, but has not been successful. I'm still reeling from the lies that he was telling trying to cover up all this nonsense, so that obviously puts a strain on the relationship. I really am trying not to control him or fix him. I am also trying not to obsess about this (and not having much luck).

I have read many of the posts on here, and they have been very helpful.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Blue....Welcome to SR!! This site is a life saver, so stick around. Always someone who will have either gone through or is going through the same thing, and it helps to have someone in our corner.

My daughter is my addict, and we are now taking baby steps to recovery. It's been a long road, filled with despair and heartache, but thanks to SR, I am somewhat sane...lol.

More will be along shortly to welcome you in!!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Welcome to the SR family .. You are in great hands so be sure and stick around. Knowledge is power so read, read and reread

****{Hugs}}}
Passion
Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Notsleepingwell, I hope all is going well with your daughter. I have no kids, but I do have step-daughters. One of them has had serious problems. The last time we heard from her was about a month ago when we got the dreaded phone call from jail. She wanted us to bail her out after a DUI. She begged, cried, screamed, etc., but we refused. We haven't heard from her since. We know that she is still living with "friends."
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Bluebell, (my favorite flower by the way.....)
Welcome, glad you're joining us.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome, Bluebelle, I'm glad you found us.

My son is an addict and what helped me find peace for myself was to go to meetings and learn to work a program that literally saved my life. If there is a Naranon, Alanon or CoDA (or even an ACOA) near you, maybe give it a try and see if it doesn't help put you on a better path.

I'm sorry about your situation but happy you have found a place where you are among friends who truly understand.

Hugs
Old 11-15-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to s.r. i am glad you have found us. there is nothing u can do to make anyone stop using.my son is my addict & if it was possible i would make him stop. keep reading around at all the post & learn to let go & take care of you. there is peace in recovery for US. we are the only ones that we can control.it take work but it is well worth it.keep coming back.prayers,
Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. My addict is also my daughter, age 23. SHe is currently doing well in a sober living home.

You will meet lots of great folks here who will walk w/ you each step--sometimes when you feel you can't take another step alone!

prayers for a new friend,
susan:praying
Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

welcome to SR, bluebelle

Glad you decided to join our family.

Please keep posting & reaching out for help - for me that is what helps me because I have been affected by several of my family members' alcoholism & addictions.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita