# 25 (permalink)  

Any news?

Wondering about you and Dakota.
Let us know something!
susan:praying
Old 10-26-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Thank you - each and everyone of you for your prayers (I don't have the results back yet, but as soon as I do ... I will post them). Yesterday was quite a day. We get to the hospital, check in at diagnostics ... I tell them that we are there for ekg, echo and catscan and let them know she needs the contrast drink for the catscan at least 2 hours before the scan itself (cause she was being sedated)... they do the paperwork .. send us out to wait to be called .. we're waiting and waiting ... I look at the clock and it is 10 minutes before our echo - ekg appt and they still haven't brought the contrast out. I go to up to the desk and they tell me that she won't get the contrast until an hour before the scan (I explain again that I was told by the Oncologist as well as the Anesthesiologist that she was to drink the contrast two hours before the scan. The lady at the desk insist that the nurse will bring it out an hour before the scan then she tells me that they don't see us on the schedule for an echo/ekg .. I explain that I had even gotten a call from the office to confirm the appt. I explained that when I first came in I told them what we were here for and no one said anything about not having an order for the echo/ekg "Well we don't have an order for it", she says, then she asks, "what doctor" (I'm feeling a bit frustrated at this point)... I tell her and she asked me if I would go up to the 3rd floor to the office up there and ask them to send the order down with me. So, I go up to the ped/oncology explain to them about the order and they were shocked that diagnostics sent me up to get it. They said, they shouldn't be having you run around .. they could have called us and we would have faxed it down ... I also talked to the nurse about the contrast and she explained that even she had been told that it was to be drank two hours before the catscan.... she says, I don't know - I guess they make their rules .. then tells me , just tell them we're faxing it. So I go back down to diagnostics and tell them peds/onc is faxing it... the lady asks, where are they faxing it to. I said, I don't know - I assume to you. And again I mention the contrast and that told her even peds/onc say two hours before .... She sighs/rolls her eyes and picks up the phone to call them. (okay now I'm starting feel a bit of anger) she puts the phone down and asks, "do you know where suite 220 is" yes I do. she says, go up there for the echo/ekg. So again I bring up the contrast (cause ya know I don't know the reason why she has to drink it two hours before, but I do know why she can't eat for 8 hrs before and part of it is they don't want food to get into her lungs .. so I'm thinkin' what if that is the reason they want the drink to be drank two hours before. I am aware a catscan with no sedation can be done an hour after drinking the contrast .. (anyhow I'm just lookin' out for Dakota's best interest) the lady looks at me and says the nurse will bring it an hour before the scan. (Okay .. thats it - I'm pi$$ed ... I lose it and I looked her directly in the eyes (my face is bright red with anger and I wouldn't doubt if steam was coming out of my ears) and I point at her and say "you better be sure cause this is my childs life here and if any thing happens to her ..(then I turned and started to walk away) muttering I'll #*** you up. I had lost control and was no longer in charge (the protective mother lioness was ready to rip someone to shreds) I was snortin', huffin, puffin, pasing (the wild eyed wild animal in a cage look) My husband says .. you just need to calm down (I just looked at him, made my hand into a claw and gave him a ferocious hiss LOL

Anyhow we go up to do her echo/ekg and a nurse comes up shortly afterwards with the contrast. I asked her how long before the scan was Dakota supposed to drink it and she says, 2 hrs .. I glanced at my husband with a half glare. The nurse asked me what happened .. so I told her and she agreed that I did have every reason to be angry. (Okay so now my feelings were validated and I didn't feel like an unjustified pyscho b from hell - LOL)

The nurse did the echo/ekg and when we were finished we still had time before the catscan so we went out to the healing garden (which is just a peaceful area (a beautiful plant and flower garden) filled with birdhouses and other decor) I'm sitting on a bench with Dakota (who has her legs tucked under her and is sitting on her heels) .. she accidently drops her stuffed animal ... I lean over the back of the bench to pick it up and she decides she is going to get up and goes flying off the bench onto the concrete face forward. (I swear that she must have had gardian angels all around her because this child has only a teeny tiny little red mark on her knee and a teeny tinyer piece of skin nicked up on her hand.) Thank you God.

So now we go to do the catscan .... Dakota resisted the mask being put over her face (they were trying to take it slow and gentle, but I said do whatcha gotta do) and they just got it done. She cried and fought, but of course it did her no good. I went out of the room and cried cause I hate that she is having to have something over her face and is being forced against her will, but it has to be - We waited in the food court and they came and got us... Won't tell us anything until we see the Oncologist on Monday ........ I did ask about the scans and the Anesthesiologist said, They were pretty happy back there and thats all I'm gonna say

All in all Kota did great..... she was a bit anxious and after the gas she threw up a few times, but once it wore completely off she was back to her normal silly,wild toddler self.

I'll post as soon as I get offical result

Love to all,
Passion
Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nyte -

Good for you for making sure Dakota got what she needed, WHEN she needed it! I know all about the claw and hiss thing - I've had cats forever and it seems like a very appropriate reaction at times.

I'll be looking forward to the "official" report, but I'm thinking that the anesthesiologist being happy is a very good sign.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Passion I am sorry I missed this thread earlier... wanted to let you know Dakota's is always in my prayers. You are such a strong, wonderful and inspiring mom and person.

hugs,
Jewel
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Ah Passion,
I sure can understand your getting upset and angry, good for you.

Hugs to you, Momma Tiger!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am glad it went well and my prayers continue for that little angel.

You're stronger than I would have been under those circumstances, I can only imagine how furious you felt.

So adding prayers for you too and a big hug for being so brave.

Hugs
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Nyte
I can imagine your fury with the so called lady at the desk. UGH!!!!
I'm glad Dakota got through the procedures OK. You are an amazing mom and should give yourself a big hug from all of us here!! That's a lot of hugs! :ghug
Praying that you get great news on Monday from the docs. You and Dakota are in my morning prayers everyday!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Passion, I give you so much credit for not hauling off and knocking her right off her little throne ...Man I wanted to deck her just reading this (and I'm a very peace loving person who wouldn't know how to get in a physical fight) How dare she be so unfeeling and ignorant...I'm so sorry you had to got through that.

I'm glad Dakota got through everything all right; precious angel. Continuing to pray for all of you. Hugs
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

((((Prayers and support )))) to you both.

I hope that things are looking up for this precious child. I hope that the prognosis is good,
Old 10-27-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sending prayers to you and Dakota....she is absolutely precious - as are you.

Love, Donna