When you make the choice to stay

Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Survivor

When you make the choice to stay

This was a post from another web site.....I thought it was a post that should be shared with all parents........

I just left a hearing where a mother of 4 begged a judge not to take her kids away from her. It was heart-breaking to hear her sobs as she left the courtroom without her children. Why did she lose her kids? They were taken from her because she allowed a meth addict to be a part of not only her life but the lives of her children. She failed to protect them from the environment that addiction brings with it. This man has never physically abused these children but they were abused by the mere presence of this individual. They didn’t have enough food to eat because money was spent on drugs. They didn’t have sufficient clothing because money was spent on drugs. They were not always supervised properly because mom was so caught up in what “he” was doing that she failed to deal with her kids and worry about what they were doing.

She wasn’t a bad mom but she wasn’t a good mom either. She was so pre-occupied with him and his addiction, that she lost sight of what was truly important….her children.

There is a growing trend in this country to remove children from homes where addiction is prevalent. The courts are beginning to see that while they may not be able to alter or change the addict, they may be able to step in and save the next generation from repeating the cycle. The best way for that to happen, is to give them an opportunity to see and live a different way of life. Whether or not we agree with this, it’s happening. After reading and hearing the horror stories of children harmed or even killed because they were subjected to an addict, it makes sense to error on the side of caution. Our responsibility is to protect these children....especially when the parents choose not to.

Many of you still live with an active addict…..many of you could be this woman. I hope you stop and realize what is at stake each time you make a choice to stay and place your children in harms way. I’m sure this mother never dreamed that she would lose her kids….after all…she wasn’t the addict. After all.....all she did was love him more than her own kids. I wonder if she now feels he was worth it?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

I don't have small children and it was my son who was involved in drugs.
This thread reminds me of the last time I rescued my son by picking up his car when the police located it. The car that someone had 'stolen'....and I was so sure he needed to survive, was involved in a 'crack rental agreement'. That is when the 'light bulb' clicked ON and shone brightly in my eyes. That night I finally realized that my son's involvment in that world could EASILY bring violence into my home and my life. I was face to face with these people as they were being arrested. I'll never forget the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I knew they now hated me as much as they did my son. I felt anger for the first time, initially at my son but moments later I directed the anger where it belonged... with myself.
Drug dealers are not nice people and they can and do inflict harm on those that they 'perceive' as enemies. I decided that I could no longer put myself, my home and my family in that position.
Thank you for reminding me about the grave vulnerabilty I once allowed in my life.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:ghug3

JFT,

GREAT POST!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The sadder end of the story is are these kids really safer in foster homes. AI know so many addicts that used the first time while living in, being beat in and raped in over crowded foster homes.

We have to all make a stand to put our kids first
Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. Made me think too how addiction hurts the entire family and all that care, especially the innocent ones, and how my little granddaughter, AD niece, could have been harmed by creeps!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fall 7 times stand up 8

This woman very well could have been me. I mean my kids never went hungry or anything but there were so many countless times that they needed things but we didn't have it because it went to feed his addictoin. We have lost 2 houses and 3 cars over the past 2 years. It is only by the grace of GOD that I was able to get away before it got as bad as the woman in the story. My heart goes out to her because I can't imagine ever having to give my children up. But this needs to be a wake up call to those who may still be in this situation. Your number one job as a mother is to protect your children. You can't control the addiction but we have to get better at protecting our children from the effects of it.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanku for posting this, it really opened my eyes as too how I may have been neglecting my kids because I was so focused on my ABF who lived with me. Hes in jail now, but I can definately see it.. The fights while they were home, the depression, the not being attentive.. etc etc.. Now that he isnt here i finally have time to focus on myself and my kids. Even tho he isnt here I still catch myself not being as attentive due to depression over the whole situation, but I am making progress.. babysteps..