Language of Letting Go - October 4

Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - October 4

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Faith and Money

Sometimes, there is not enough money to make ends meet, much less afford any luxuries.

People may tell us to do a budget, and we chuckle. The expenses we need to pay for survival surpass the income.

We look at the situation; shake our heads, and say, "No way."

Many of us have had to live through these situations. This is not the time to panic; this is not the time to despair.

Panic and desperation will lead to bad judgment and desperate moves. This is the time to substitute faith for fear. This is the time to trust God to meet our needs.

Take life one day and one need at a time. Use your survival skills positively. Know your possibilities are not limited by the past or by your present circumstances.

Examine any blocks that might be stopping the flow of money in your life. Do you have an attitude, an issue, a lesson that might be yours to change or learn?

Maybe the lesson is a simple one of faith. In Biblical times, it is said that Jesus walked on the water. It is said His followers could, too, but the moment they let fear take over, they sank.

During financial hard times, we can learn to "walk on water" with money issues. If we make out a budget, and there's not enough money to survive and pay legitimate expenses, do your best, then let go. Trust your Source to supply your needs. If an emergency arises, and there is no cash to meet the need, look beyond your wallet. Look to your Source. Claim a Divine supply, an unlimited supply, for all that you need.

Do your part. Strive for an attitude of financial responsibility in thought and action. Ask for Divine Wisdom. Listen to God's leadings. Then let go of your fears and your need to control.

We know that money is a necessary part of being alive and living; so does our Higher Power.

God, bring any blocks and barriers within me concerning money to the surface. Help me take care of myself financially. If money is tight, I will dispel fear and learn to "walk on water" concerning finance issues. I will not use this attitude to justify irresponsibility. I will do my part, including letting go of fear and trusting you to do the rest.

From The L
anguage of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This reading today reminds me of times in my life when there just wasn't enough money to make it through the month.

No matter how tight my budget, no matter how much I trimmed the fat, there just wasn't enough to get by.

I learned to reach out, when necessary, to family or to creditors who may have to wait a month to be paid, and as humiliating as that was, I found that they understood and helped me.

I have also learned that my needs have always been provided for (thank You God), and that sometimes my wants had to wait.

I have never forgotten that time, and although I am grateful that today I have more than I need financially, I remember to give back to those who don't. I try to pay forward that which was given to me.

My mother used to tell me: "God gave you a mind that functions and a body that works, use those gifts to take care of yourself and trust that the rest will come." She was a wise lady who also struggled financially sometimes, but by example I learned lessons that have seen me through the worst of times.

Hugs
Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann -

This is SO on time for me. I am now dealing with the financial consequences of my action - old bills that weren't paid. Add to that, paying for a car that now needs repair and dental work that needs to be done and there simply isn't enough $$ to go around.

But I have been doing taking responsibility, talking to creditors, and then handing it over to God. I told a friend, yesterday, that every week I panic that there won't be enough $$, but every week there is! I've got some serious debt, but I have a job, I'm clean & sober and I'm truly grateful that I have the opportunity make amends, financial and otherwise.

On a good note, it appears I will get my nursing license back, with strict stipulations. It will take a while, but I've turned that over too - it will happen when it's meant to.

Thanks again for a very timely post!!!!

Amy
Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Amy, when you just keep doing the next right thing, it just gets better and better.

Congratulations on managing so well and most of all hanging on to your sobriety while facing these problems. I posted on another thread that thinking, not drinking, will get you where you are no longer knee deep in problems.

Hugs
Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Back in 1984 I almost lost the farm. Between bad credit advice and a huge increase in the flexible mortgage rate (back then there were NO fixed rate mortgages and the best rates were from Farm Credit Service) and money out for the annual crop loan as well as some machinery loans.. things were BAD. I can recall telling the bank that I could not pay the mortgage and I had to pay my other bills first (like grain for the cows). the bank would NOT talk about it and so the second farm, on which the mortgage was, was put on the market.

We were considering an offer from a developer when a buyer came up fro NYC and made an offer. In that offer was their promise to put the land in an ag trust (new back then) and rent the farm back to use for an annual rent that was equivalent to one month's mortgage payment. We sold to the NYC buyer and farmed for another 14 years utilizing that land.

This all happened when I made a decision to tell the bank I wasn't making any more payments and then I simply relaxed.

No one can ever convince me that the "Big G" isn't there watching over me.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile Letting Go....

Hi Ann,

I learned to be frugal with money in my growing up years from my Mom & Dad. I always seemed to have enough money on a very small income when I was still drinking. I paid bills first, then grocery shopped, then bought my alcohol. I limited my drinking to stay within my budget but still got drunk every day.

My HP was there to help me at times when my daughter or I especially needed something. When I started my new job I went to the Senior Center Rummage Sale and bought blouses to go with pants I already had. A friend of mine from AA left a box of clothes on my front porch the same day my daughter needed a white blouse and a pair of black dress shoes for a concert at school.....guess what was in that box......a pair of black shoes and a white blouse!

kelsh