OT: More advice needed please

Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: More advice needed please

I know this is totally off topic, but I need an objective opinion, and you guys have been right so many other times when I should have listened... And I desperately need guidance on this one, in a bit of a hurry.

Here's the deal: We still haven't closed on our house yet. The current contract is up this coming Sunday, the 16th. We have an amendment that states that if flood insurance is required, we can pull out and get our earnest money back. Well, FEMA is going to drop the flood insurance requirement, but not until the 19th, after a new floodmap is issued. We are sick and tired of postponing this, bankrupting ourselves in hotel bills, and not knowing where we will be living from one week to the next. And even after the 19th, we don't know for sure when the LOMA (letter of map amendment) would be processed and show up. So, we could be waiting for potentially as much as two more weeks. Minimum.

So, here's the options:

1) wait for the FEMA paperwork and stick with this house
2) get our earnest money back and go buy something else (we already have two other houses in mind, both of which are new construction and could be closed on very quickly)

On top of being tired of waiting for this house, I am tired of the unprofessional behavior exibhited by the seller's agent, the seller, and even our agent to a degree. So, it is very appealing to think about giving all three of them the middle finger and going on...

But then again, the other houses cost a little more... (about ten grand more, which is what, another 30-40 bucks a month?)

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI Ladyamathea

Hmmmm? My question to you is.....which house do you like best? Which house do you see yourself in? If this waiting game is putting you in a financial bind, and the other houses are a fast-close, and you like them just as well, what's a few thousand more over a period of 30 years?

I don't do business with people that have an unprofessional attitude (unless it means I can save big bucks)!

What's then flood map? Is this by a creek, or a potential flood area? If so, get the other house. We had income property by a creek once!! Never again! Big problems!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

I stay out of flood zones and "occassional" flood zones - we had 3 100-year floods in less than five years around here back in the 90s... LOTs of devastation.

My sponsor ALWAYS tells me to pray about it...then to listen for the answer.

Sometimes, a "block" IS the answer... and the answer is "no".

((((Lady)))))
Old 09-13-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

sounds like you already made your mind up lol
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd be rather shaky about the whole flood thing too (was when you posted about it earlier) And I never trust the feds to get anything done when they sya it is going to be...So i'd probably change your 2 weeks to 2 months. It does sound like the negatives outweigh the positives, but the missing piece to me is how much you love this house...If it isn't love...well, that tips the scales more in my book.

I like what was said that a block is a no...Hugs
Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did love the house.... and a part of me still does, as it is a very unique floor plan; but I'm so burnt out on it that I really don't care one way or another at this point. Thanks for your advice everyone. I think we're making an offer on another house today.