New Here...my story........

Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Trisha,

So glad your daughter made it to rehab.

Now would be a VERY GOOD time to start taking care of yourself and learning just what part you need to play in all of this. I started attending face to face Al Anon meetings right after my daughter attended her first rehab. It was probably the 2nd best thing I've ever done for myself. Attending those meetings has helped me tremendously. And it has also helped the relationship I have with my daughter.

So seize the day. Start working on your recovery while your daughter works on hers. It will be a gift you give to yourself and your daughter.

Hope to see you around some more.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 08-18-2007, 10:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Trisha,

Welcome to SR! In my opinion, if your daughter can make it through the ten days, she will be more likely to do something more extensive. She has to know that she can handle being away from the drugs. Change is scary for all of us, even those of us who are not addicts... so imagine how much more scary it is when you are addicted to something, and the change involves the very thing you are so fiercely clinging to? Maybe these next ten days will prove to her that she is stronger than she thinks she is.

Hangin' In made a very good point about taking the time to focus on you, though. In fact, I hope that you and the rest of your family will take the time to try some Alanon or Naranon meetings while she is away. As much as you want to help her, there is very little that you can do, and there is even less that you can do if you're not getting the help you deserve.

We're all pulling for you and for her. Keep coming back... I know that you will find friends here just like I have. This site has helped me more in the past three months than anything else I have tried over the past two years.

*hugs and prayers*