New with ?, need honest anwers

Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New with ?, need honest anwers

I just joined tonight because of the emotional stress of living with an addict. My ? is: does narcotic abuse cause loss of libido? I have never been around anyone before who abuses them so I am lost. I know this is a sensitive subject but I desperately need answers. I am feeling very unattractive and lonely right now and don't know how else to deal with it.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm sorry I'm not able to help with your specific question, as the addict in my life is a platonic friend. I think it might depend on the drug, because I've heard both extremes on this issue. I can tell you that addicts are very good at making those who love them feel unwanted, unloved, unattractive, etc. It's a little dead around here this time of night, but stick around. Others will be along later with lots of helpful information. Please read the "stickies" at the top of the page, especially "What Addicts Do". I'm glad you found us. hugs
Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by new_2_it_all View Post
I just joined tonight because of the emotional stress of living with an addict. My ? is: does narcotic abuse cause loss of libido? I have never been around anyone before who abuses them so I am lost. I know this is a sensitive subject but I desperately need answers. I am feeling very unattractive and lonely right now and don't know how else to deal with it.

Hi New, welcome to SR! Drugs affect different people in different ways. Many times they can cause a loss of libido.

Living with an addict is extremely stressful in many ways. You say that you are new to this. I suggest reading the "stickies" at the top of the "friends and family" page, and like Mertsie said you will find "what addicts do" up there. It is helpful to try and learn about addiction and also codependency.

Also the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie is EXTREMELY helpful in understanding the situation of living with an addict.

Keep posting, there are many supportive people here who will come along and give you input. You are NOT alone in this-many of us have been in and are in your situation.

Hugs, Lisa
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate the replies. I am in a whole new world. The man I am with was heavily into alot of different substances before I came along. Most of his friends and family say I have changed him. He wasn't honest with me at the very beginning though. Since we got serious and he proposed he has come clean about alot. I do know he is only abusing one thing now instead of several. I am new but not naive. I have snooped everywhere since learning the truth.

I have been widowed for a couple of years and we agreed at first to take things slow to give me time to adjust. But now that things have gotten serious, I wondered and worried if he was telling the truth about it causing impotency. I know he loves me as much as a user can and he isn't cheating or stealing to get his fixes. But there is so much I don't know and didn't realize about substance abuse. I am in my 30's but have led a fairly sheltered life until now.

Any advice and/or input is welcome.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Hi,

Yes, drugs can affect the libido, it affects many areas of the body and brain.

I'd tread slowly, read as much as you can about addiction and how it can have a life altering affect on someone who loves an addict.

Have you considered going to meetings?

Keep reading others posts, it may help you understand what you are, and, will be dealing with in the future.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R.
i am glad you found us.living with an addict can affect everything about us & around us.please read around,read all the post & all the stickys at the top of the forum.there is lots of information here.try to go to a face to face meeting & keep coming back here.i am sorry for your pain. i am saying a prayer for you.hugs,
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

New: Welcome to SR. Yes, narcotics DEFINITELY cause loss of sex drive. when my RAH was in active addiction our sex life was almost nil. I had no idea he was on drugs (it is a lllloooonnngg story) I thought he was cheating on me with another woman. (maybe that would have been easier to deal with?)
I hope you keep coming back, reading and posting. THere is a lot to learn from the good people here.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

living with a active addict affects everything...take care of yourself. blessings, k