do you ever wonder

Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FINALLY FREE

do you ever wonder

does anybody else ever wonder why?

why do bad things happen to people?
why do bad things happen when everything seems to be going perfect all of a sudden?
why does god lets things like addiction happen?

when i was talking to my counsler i just couldn't help but ask all these questions. i dont think anyone will ever fully understand why, but somtimes i like to think that one day i will find out why

i am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason but when it came to my fiance's problem i just couldnt even think that this was in god's plan.

am i a monster for questioning god? or Fate/destiny?

i want to believe that god didnt have this in his plan and that all this was just a mistake
Old 06-29-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

You have to remember. God also gave us free will. We have choices in everything we do. Your Fiance had a choice at the time he took his first drug. You will have the choice to stick it out with him or not. Why does God let some things happen like drug addiction? He won't interfere with our free will. For every action there is a reaction. The only thing we have control over is our own reaction.

I've questioned God MANY times and the answer is always the same. "It's just not for you to know.........but trust Me". I think that's what they call blind faith.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Because God gave us free will and that means that we will stray. Humans are imperfect beings and thus make a lot of mistakes. When you love someone who is in the throes of those mistakes it can hurt like heck. I am sorry for your pain. My only child is my addict, so I understand pain. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Loves, I guess like minds, huh Marle
Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This probably won't be of much meaning to you, but I'll give you an example of how things do happen for a reason...

Before my sister's heroin problem, I had (and still have) a huge food addiction problem. It has just been in the past few weeks, since she has been in treatment, that I have looked at the addiction cycle and been able to understand better that my food problem is no different from her heroin problem. Now, I am trying to do everything I can to take steps to get out of this cycle with food. No, I can't overdose and die from food or be arrested for eating french fries, but I am still hurting myself every time I binge. If it had not been for my sister's problem, I might not have any kind of direction on how to handle my own, since very few doctors understand the concept of food addiction.

I still feel pain every day for my sister, as well as celebrate that she made it through one more day of treatment. But at least thinking in this light has helped me to be less angry and more objective.

I hope that helps.

*hugs*
Old 06-29-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Like loves said, things happen because we are not puppets on a string that God controls. He gave us free will, and often that free will gets us in big trouble.

The beauty of it is that God can take all the stupid, horrible things that we choose to do, or that happen to us as a result of another's choices, and turn them into good things that can be used to lift others up.

But again, letting Him take our sorrows and use them for good is also a free choice that He allows us to make. We can choose His way and find peace, or we can be captives to anger and bitterness.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great answers ahead of me.lots of info here.welcome to S.R. & keep coming back.we care. prayers for u & your b.f.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Question Pain

"Our pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses our understanding. Our pain is no less wondrous than our joy. Pain within heals the sick self."
Addiction is part of the human condition. Instead of asking why, I ask now what?
Using our pain as a vehicle for growth + knowledge is the silver lining in tragedy.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also like to think that, hand in hand will free will is good and evil. Or at least good and not-so-good. Thats part of the earthly condition, or else this would be Heaven. I don't think God is sitting up there giving us bad stuff, I think s@#$ happens. IMHO God is waiting for us to go to him to help us get through the s@#$ in this world. And I think he gets as bummed at alot of this as we do!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Using our pain as a vehicle for growth + knowledge is the silver lining in tragedy
Beautifully stated, thank you Spiritual Seeker.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The phrase "When bad things happen to good people", needs to be looked at objectively. In this forum, it often refers to another person's bad behaviour affecting the lives of their loved ones. This is where the lessons we are trying to learn come handy. When a person you love uses drugs or alcohol and it hurts you mentally, physically, emotionally,or financially, the direct "bad thing" HAPPENED to the user. The non-user is really just an onlooker that has allowed themselves to become entangled in the user's events. If you view that as a bad thing happening to you, then you are not detaching. If you allow it to happen over and over again, then that is a "bad thing" that you allowed to happen to you (affect your life).
To me a bad thing that happens is an event that directly affects you that you have NO CONTROL over. Example: cancer, non-fault car wreck, being accidently physically wounded by another (drive-by shooting, terrorist bombing, etc.).
YOU see what I mean??
The thing about why does God let these things happen. Without getting into an discussion of semantics where "God " is defined, we can ask this question: Why does God (or your choice of name for omniscient being), let ANY detrimental event happen? WHat about global slavery, starvation (due to non-environmental events), disease, or war. All these events are induced and perpetuated by humans.
Ultimately, each person is responsible for his/her actions. That is what is boils down to.

Last edited by tropikgal2; 06-30-2007 at 04:39 AM. Reason: forgot a word