What other people think

Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What other people think

"What other people think is none of my business."

That is one of the most difficult recovery concepts for me to wrap my brain around. After all, I am a Card Carrying Codie! I was raised to take care of everyone else. I was supposed to consider everyone else's feelings before my own. I was directly responsible for others' happiness, sorrow, successes and failures!

How odd to learn that I am not responsible for anyone elses' thoughts or feelings... just my own. What they think is what they think, and it's not up to me. Heck, it's often not even ABOUT me!

Once I GOT that, my life got better. I actually don't care what other people think ... at least most of the time.

Comments?

Cats
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

And strangely, the best examples of how to "do" this... are the addicts and alcoholics in my life.

They ask for what they want/need... and really don't worry about what you think.

Even the sober ones!

It is good for me to look at them occassionally and realize that they get what they need because they ask for it. And they are often happy because they aren't worried about me.... they let God take care of me.

Amazing.

Thanks, Cat!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i don't even know what i think half the time...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Amen, sister!! This was a hard one for people-pleasing me too, until I learned that I am what I am and not a reflection of what others think about me, expect of me, or try to manipulate about me.

It took a fair deal of recovery before I realized that just being me was more than good enough. Being the best person I can be and being true to myself was ALL that I needed to be. And even being a screw-up some days is okay with me today.

I don't like every single person I meet, I don't even like those I love every moment of every day. It's no longer important to me to be Miss Universe, loved by all for what THEY want of me.

To thine own self be true. That's what the back of my medallions all say.

Again, amen, sister. You've told it like it is.

Hugs
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

This was HUGE for me, especially after I filed for divorce. I am a 'southern Baptist' and SO many of the people that I love and respect seem to think that divorce is simply not an option, period.

It was you, cats, that said these very words to me when I was on here stressing and awfulizing about "Mr. Clean", the community group leader who had befriended my ex and was telling others that I was 'wrong' to divorce him.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for saying this to me until I wrapped my codie brain around it!!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

For years I was trying to make sure people (especially my in-laws) thought I was a "good person" -
what great freedom when l realized they are going to think whatever they want to no matter what I do - so I might as well do what makes me happy & healthy!!
(Thanks to recovery - I'm a much happier person & they still don't have a clue-makes me a little sad for them)

Rita
Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I used to worry but I haven't in a long time EXCEPT for my husband and then the BF. What they might think was a HUGE thing.. I obsessed over it.

Well, both are gone and you know.. I don't give a rats butt what anyone thinks of me now.. well, I want my bosses to think well of me but that is based on work.

sooooo...
I just do what I want pretty much. I wear what I want to. I don't go out of my way to be offensive, but I don't stress over it either.

It is so freeing to just enter the world every day with the attitude of "Like it or not, here I am, guts, feathers, warts and all."

My cats and my dog think I am absolutely beautiful.. especially when I have their food in hand!

I don't need any affirmation beyond that.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigSis View Post
And strangely, the best examples of how to "do" this... are the addicts and alcoholics in my life.

They ask for what they want/need... and really don't worry about what you think.

It is good for me to look at them occassionally and realize that they get what they need because they ask for it.

Wow, isn't that the truth....that's a good point, Bigsis.

I just remind myself constantly not to stress on what others think...I just have to remind myself all the time.

Life is too short to live it based on what others think of you.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Wow, you are so right, Cats! This used to be a major problem with me, also. I used to be so ashamed to even mention that my daughter was an addict.

But you know, after I got enough "recovery" under my belt and realized that it wasn't about "me", I find when I do mention it to people I meet and feel comfortable with, my story and experience seems to help them. They usually end up by telling me something they may never have told many others. It happens a lot. Sort of like the circle of life...

Hugs!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Can I sort of plead the fith?
I'm still a work in progress.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

I'm still a work in progress.
And what a lovely work you are!! lol

Remember, there is no such thing as "perfection" - we are always a work in progress! You are in good company, loves!