For the newbies and for us who have been around a while

Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For the newbies and for us who have been around a while

It seems lately and or today especially that we have a few new friends on SR. This was recommended by Bigsis and Ann to me apon my arrival at SR. Seems appropriate to post it again just in case the newbies have not learned to navigate the forum yet.

Thanks Jon!

What Addicts Do

My name's Jon. I'm an addict. And this is what addicts do. You cannot nor will not change my behavior. You cannot make me treat you better, let alone with any respect. All I care about, all I think about, is my needs and how to go about fufilling them. You are a tool to me, something to use. When I say I love you I am lying through my teeth, because love is impossible for someone in active addiction. I wouldn't be using if I loved myself, and since I don't, I cannot love you.

My feelings are so pushed down and numbed by my drugs that I could be considered sociopathic. I have no empathy for you or anyone else. It doesn't faze me that I hurt you, leave you hungry, lie to you, cheat on you and steal from you.

My behavior cannot and will not change until i make a decison to stop using/drinking and then follow it up with a plan of action.

And until I make that decsion, I will hurt you again and again and again.

Stop being surprised.

I am an addict. And that's what addicts do.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

Thanks, Noah... I also remember the first time I read it. It has a lot of impact.

((hugs))
Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That has always held a special meaning for me too, Noah. I think reading that for the first time was when I realized that he wasn't doing it "to" me, he was just doing what addicts do.

Hugs
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Noah I was looking for that yesterday to recommend