Hmmp, Just a small word! NO

Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dolly, I just can't believe the law....well I figured out with all Kris went through that Florida was not the place for me! How dare they...it is just incomprehensible!

Anyway, my friend..you are wonderful and so strong and adventurous. You really rock! Just closed on the mountain place, so if you head north, give a shout. I hope you have a laptop and wireless so you keep in touch! Hugs...big, big hugs!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wanna go too!!!!!! How lucky you are to have that escape---smart to to take that LOA from work when you needed it--most wouldn't....sounds fantastic---good for you!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I think that this is all tied to the early release program, and, that IF he has no place to go, and no job lined up, he will have to finish his full term. After that he will be free to go anywhere, not work, whatever, and I will not be in the picture. It's kinda like I would be a babysitter. The POP who came here was a real winner....I think they get brownie points for every placement...or something...and I truly believe he was spouting off his interpretation of the law, yet I do not want to be dragged into this, I've got enough on my plate dealing with ex-hubby's estate, there are five attornies involved in that mess, I don't need a sixth.

Something like 60% of all male prisoners, in the minumum security prisons in the state of Florida are there for drug related issues...quite a staggering number. Plus, these prisons don't really have any work for the prisoner to do, hence, they just sit around and twittle their thumbs. So, they are trying to unclog the system and move them back into society. I also believe that this is a one time purge and has a window, they'll clean out as many as they can and that will be that. We have a new govenor and I think this was pushed through to make him look good, like see, the prison population has been lowered by X%, prison budget has been cut by X%.

So, as it stands he will not have a place to go, as I will be on vacation, the POP left me a form to fill out and I am sending it back, stating that I will be gone, sorry, cannot babysit.

As for my house, it is mine, in my name only. Florida does have another cute law though. If we were married, under Florida law the spouse has to be put on the title/deed of the marital residence, even if the spouse is not on the mortgage.

So, the spouse has title to the home, even if they haven't paid a dime towards the mortgage, and the home cannot be sold unless the spouse agrees to the sale.

How do you like that one? Now, that law is a real winner.
As long as you are married, that home is also the home of the spouse whether you want them there or not, if they do not leave freely, they can stay forever, if they don't agree to sell the home you cannot sell it. The only way to get out of it, is a divorce, if everything goes right and you can prove you paid the mortgage during the marriage, you will get the house and the spouse no longer has title/interest in the home.

When I was separated from my now ex-hubby, I bought a house, and even though I put my money up for the downpayment, and was solely on the mortgage, his name had to be on the title...we were legally separated, I tried to fight this, and got nowhere, only after we were divorced did his name come off the title/deed, he cooperated...thank god.

So, you see, living in Florida is like living on another planet. Just ask Kris, she knows, and don't get us started on the Sheriffs Department, that's another must miss in Florida.

Todays another day, and I am going to enjoy myself. You guys do the same.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dolly-
Much respect for you to moving ahead with your life and allowing nothing to hold you back- even discouraging news that you have to alter your life at a given moment. Your strength is palpable.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sort of OT: Dolly, have you read any of Carl Hiaasen's books? They are hilarious and all set in Florida!! Might make good road trip reading material. His newest one is "Native Girl". I also like "Skinny Dip" and "Tourist Season".
Old 04-21-2007, 04:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

NY Laws can be not much better (espeically the child protection laws).

I have said this for years...
The elected people in a Government spend most of their time posturing and passing laws w/o funding enforcement or consiedering the long term effects. It does no good whatsoever to pass tougher laws to protect children from abuse and then not add funding to Social Services to enforce and follow up on the new law?

It makes no sense to write a law requiring seat belts (for instance) and then not increase the number of law enforcement people to enforce it. that is probably not the best example.. but anyway, you get my drift.

I think you are making the smartest move ever. Go on vacation, enjoy your life and your Road Trip. This is why I am working so hard to save for my own retirement.. and why I stay where I am for now.. Money does make the world go round.. and allows for travel!
Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Dolly,
This is a VERY educational thread, I'd say.
What I wonder is, when you get back, why won't he just be residing in "His" home? What's to prevent him from just moving in, if, according to the law, they identify that as his residence?

And if you can make that motorhome float,
you're welcome to come to Camp.

Where exactly are you planning on seeing the sites, Dolly?
Do you have family somewhere to visit?

Hugs,
Old 04-21-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry that you are having to deal with this too, after all you've already been through, but it is so good to hear that you are able to get away. let me know if you come to atlanta on your way to whereever. i'm praying for ya.

btw, i know what it feels like for them to get early release. i actually argued with the receptionist at the parole board when she called me telling me that my ah was getting out a few months early. it was just too soon for me and they caught me off guard.

for me, the big deal was for him to go to jail not to get out.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post

So, you see, living in Florida is like living on another planet. Just ask Kris, she knows, and don't get us started on the Sheriffs Department, that's another must miss in Florida.
Yea..........The Sheriff's Department is a definite miss in Florida. :
Old 04-21-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Moose,

It all has to do with this early release program, if he has to serve his full term and is released, he is on his own. Not on probation, thus, he will not need to be monitered. His probabtion would be 1 year, so he would be trading 6 more months in prison, for one year probabtion.

To me it seems that they are trying to release prisoners that have a good enviroment to return to, one where there are no bad influences,
that is what I got out of his blabbering.

Now that won't stop him from knocking on my door after he is released, I will handle that when it occurs.

This whole thing is crazy, I am over it.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Trop,

I have read "Skinny Dip" is was too funny, I'll check out "Native Girl"

Thanks,
Dolly
Old 04-21-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
On a tear

Ok... ok ... ok. !!! This is gonna be great...

So, go north 95, hang a left at New York. Follow 80 to Sacramento and do a sharp right.... north on 5 until just past Porland and look for a big mountain on your right (if it is cloudy, she won't be out... fingers crossed). Just past the mountain is exit 72.

I can meet ya for lunch, and if it is Thursday, a very cool meeting!

Plus... WEST coast laws were forumulated by a population who already distrusted the existing government. We have some excellent checks and balances out here.

Someone said to me once - those with the "risk-taker" genes came to the US originally.... those with even stronger "risk-taker" genes moved again to populate the west. So ... we have great adverturers out here.... and a huge population of aloholics and addicts. (grin).

Give me a holler when you get close!! (((Dolly)))