I'm Sorry

Old 03-17-2007, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Sorry

It has been on my conscience a little bit lately, esp as I read through all of your posts about your struggles living with an addict, that my situation with my AS is probably an anomaly, and possibly in the "honeymoon" stage. He struggled with many addictions over the last few years and finally got inpatient treatment in early January and so far is doing really well. 71 days sober today from heroin and a bunch of other stuff and at age 20, I am grateful that he is doing so well.

I realize as I try to be honest with myself that he is very much a baby in recovery, as am I, and my recovery has probably been drastically oversimplified because he did take to the program so well. Reading through all of your struggles, I realize it is easy for me to say encouraging things, since my path has not been so hard. All of this could change any day or any hour.

So if I have come across as preachy or as if I know much about recovery. I know very little and have much to learn. I just haven't been fully tested yet. I just felt I needed to be honest and say that.

Thanks for listening.

Caught.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Caught, Please don't feel like you have to feel badly because your son is doing so well. We are all at different stages in our loved ones addiction and our own recovery. It is wonderful that your son is embracing recovery. It gives us hope that our loved ones will someday get it and want recovery too. You have much to offer. Whether an addict is active for a few years or many addiction is a frightening thing to those who love the addict. You just keep posting and sharing. We all need the gift of hope and that is something that you can bring to us. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-18-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i am glad your son is doing well. i love the post of miricales.those post are what keep me hopeing. keep coming back & keep posting.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Caught, As marle said, It is wonderful to read about the ones who are doing well. Even if you are new to recovery, you still have valuable things to add around here. Congratulations on your sons 71 days. That is awesome. It shows he is working very hard. I hope he continues to do well.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i too am glad to hear that your son is doing so well, and i pray that he continue to do well. i'll keep praying for you and him. thanks for sharing the good news.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hi Caught.
That's wonderful news that your son has 71 days clean. I'm so happy for him and for you. My personal feelings are that anyone who has even been touched by addiction or alcoholism has gone through unbelievable trauma, no matter to what degree. I could never wish on my worst enemy what I've gone through and I haven't been through as much as lots of wonderful people here have. We've all been through our own experiences with addiction, heartbreak and terror, and that puts us all in the same boat together. So we each share our experience, strength and hope to try and encourage others that are going through it all too, and we come to recieve encouragement from others also. You never need to say you're sorry here for sharing anything that might help another, no matter what you think that you're degree of experience is because we're all in this together.
((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))
Old 03-18-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im so soshappy for u!!
thats good news!! and u enjoy it!!
dont feel gulty feel happy and were all ahppy with u,, thank u for sharring and always say what u think,, its the best for u and everyone!!
we love u God bless u
Old 03-18-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

We all want to hear about the success stories. They provide us with the "hope" we all so desparately cling to! No shame there. I pray that you never have to be tested as some have.

Just share your good news!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

(((Caught)))
Goodness, no apology needed!
I know I had great hopes, (I always have hope...LOL) that my sons would start sober after they were in recovery.

I am praying your son stays with his recovery, hopefully, this is NOT just a honeymoon phase, I'm praying, he's "got it"

Hugs to you,
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((Caught)))))))

Thank you for sharing your son's recovery with us.
I love to hear about the miracles taking place with our loved ones.
If it were me...I'd be shouting it from a rooftop.
Your feeling what any of us would feel, if our addict were working on sobriety...Elation and Joy. Nothin' wrong in that.
Keep feelin' it.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

you sound just fine, in fact you sound like a success story to me! and I love those kinds of stories. keep us posted so I can be encouraged
good luck to you and your son