College students and substance abuse

Old 03-15-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy College students and substance abuse

Heard on the news that a new study says that 23% of college students meet the criteria for substance abuse dependence. That includes a 400% increase in prescription pill abuse. Seems like a lot of parents are facing or will face addiction issues now or in the near future. Shows that the more prevalent and powerful the drugs are than they were when I was a teenager and young adult. Marle
Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My youngest just got a script from a doctor for XANAX! Does that make
sense at all? This is an 18 yo! On top of this, he drinks beer, it is so scary.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My daughter told me many,many kids in college have scripts for almost any kind of drug and sell them to the other students. She said during exam time it is like people passing out candy to everyone in order to "stay up" for the studying. Pretty sad. She was at a very good college where many rich kids (not her lol) attended. Easy to get most anything you want. Again - sad.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At my daughters college they have a NA meeting every week on campus, now that's got to tell you something is not right, not sure if they have AA too....
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my 17 year old is heading off to college this fall - drinking scares me the worst - he's been through an intensive outpatient program (court ordered for a dui) - those are scary numbers though...

we can only hope, right?...

love,
s
Old 03-15-2007, 10:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I work at a University, but I have to say that I am really surprised at how little drug use there is, I can't say as I have ever seen or heard anything.

What I have noticed mainly is how many recovering addicts are going back to school. We as well have a meetings on campus.

A couple of months ago I had a really great experience that brought tears to my eyes....I went outside for my coffee break and a student that I have seen around was sitting outside, he said I just got my Marks back and I was top in the class, he said I can't beleive it I knew more than I thought I did...I said that is great....he said but I am a recoverying addict...I use to live on the streets....I just wanted to hug him, I just felt so happy for him and he was so happy with himself!

Rose
Old 03-16-2007, 12:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its so sad that drugs are so available!

In South Africa, well, in my area, there are drug dealers standing outside the primary school! I know this because my brother deals so he can get money to buy. He said that 'the young ones' have alot of money! Parents need to limit the amount of money they are giving their kids.

Also, they put the drugs in form of a kiddies tattoo. Young kids were put in hospital!