What Is Naranon?

Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What Is Naranon?

What is Nar-Anon?

Nar-Anon is primarily for you who know or have known a feeling of desperation concerning the addiction problem of someone very near to you.

When you come into Nar-Anon, you are no longer alone but among true friends who understand your problems as few others could. Your confidence and anonymity are respected, as you respect the anonymity of others. Through Nar-Anon, you will come to understand that no situation is too difficult and no unhappiness is too great to be overcome.

The program, which is not a religious one but a spiritual way of life, is based on the twelve suggested steps of Narcotics Anonymous. Working of these steps will bring solution to practically any problem. Nar-Anon has been as helpful to the friends and family as the Narcotics Anonymous program is to the addict. Through Nar-Anon, we gain the wisdom and courage to see ourselves as we really are, to do something about ourselves with the help of a higher power as we understand this, and the grace to release our addicts with love and cease trying to change them.

With the understanding that addiction is a disease, and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over other people’s lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own. Then, and only then, can we be of any help to others.

Helping

Your role as helper is not to DO Things for the person you are helping, but to BE things, not to try to train and change his/her actions, but to train and change your reactions. As you change your negatives to positives -- fear to faith; contempt for what he does to respect for the potential within him/her; rejection to release with love, not trying to make him/her fit a standard or image, or expecting him/her to measure up to or down from that standard, but giving him an opportunity to become himself/herself, to develop the best within him/her, regardless of what that best may be; dominance to encouragement, panic to serenity; false-hope, self-centered, to real hope, God-centered; the rebellion of despair to the energy of personal revolution; driving to guidance; and self-justification to self-understand. As you change in ways such as these, you change the world about you and all the people in your world for the better.

From Nar-Anon of CT/MA
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Question Naranon

Hi,
I wondered is naranon for children as well as adults or only adults? We have children suffering with the addiction of their sibling..and adopted grandchildren affected by the addiction of their mother. We are trying to find a support group for our children, or our family as a whole. Our addict daughter lives out of state so the family programs run with rehab don't apply to us. soulm8salways******.com
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you - looking for help for my family

My sister has been abusing pain medication for some time. My divorced parents have each given her $10,000 in the last 14 months. She will have back surgery in a few weeks which my dad believes will help her stop abusing pain meds. I have been told that he has also been giving her some of his own pain meds, as he has debilitating back problems. He is at the end of his rope, and when I suggest asking for help from a support group, or professional he just tells me he's doing everything he can and he gets angry with me. I want to write both of my parents a letter asking them to quit complaining to me (as they have for some time) about giving her money. She walked into a bank two weeks ago with forged papers bearing my mother's name and personal info to ask for a loan with my mom as the cosigner. She was denied as her credit is horrendous, and the only way my mom knew about it was due to a letter from the bank. My parents, who are divorced, won't talk to each other about her. My dad said it wouldn't help if he talks to my mom. They live in different states and my mom did write him a letter about 6 months ago outlinine all the money she has sent and that she is worried my sister in an addict. My sister went through a recovery progarm many years ago and never followed up after she was clean. It is breaking my heart to see what is happening to my folks, and now my sister has hinted that she would end it all if it wasn't for her son. I have called a professional counselor and just my sister a letter today telling her how devastated I would be if she ever hurt herself. But I will not send her money. I don't know if she is saying these things to get more money from my folks, but that is my suspicion. Can anyone recommend a book I could send each of my parents and resources for our family?
thank you so much,
m