He relapsed again

Old 06-28-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Maureen Sullivan

He relapsed again

I'm so fed up. I'm engaged to a man that i met in Recovery. He is an alcoholic and i'm a drug addict. i've been clean for 2 years and i just get so frustrated that he cant stop. I found a hidden bottle again last night. He completly hides his drinking till he starts acting weird and i start looking for the bottles.
I don't want to leave him but i cant trust him. Help?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess you need to ask yourself before you marry him if you are willing to accept the behavior. If not then you need to set boundaries and stick to them. Sorry.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im sorry your struggling with him, but as an addict you have to understand what he is up against. If you going to marry this man are you able to accept him just as he is today?

How long was he sober and working a program before you started dating if you dont mind my asking. When I first started attending Al-anon they promptly told me that I could not date anyone that did not have a year of soberity (strongly suggested) and that I needed to take a year off and work on me. Im told that the mind is still in a fog and some of the old timers told me they would suggest 5 years soberity.

You might want to think about taking in some Al-anon meetings, If your looking for bottles you might be spending too much time working on his soberity then working on yours ...

Remember this is just my thought process.... take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Cynay suggestion about those Al-Anon meetings sound really helpful. Might help you gain some insight to what you will be living with if you do decide to marry. Even if they do get sober, there is always that thought in the back of our minds, how long will it last, is it for real, or at least it is for me - that is why I continue to go to those meetings so that I don't get caught up in that thinking and keep the focus on me instead of my AH.
My recovery, serenity and inner peace becomes my focus and my world becomes a better place.
One Day At a Time,
Rita
Old 06-28-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you that you have 2 years, thats great.

Glad you found us here at sober recovery.

Everyone gave you good suggestions. Do you have a sponser to run this past?? Keep coming back!