You think this works?

Old 05-04-2006, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You think this works?

I was looking for a homemade recipe for silver cleaner when I stumbled across this home remedy.

Liquor Cravings! Gold Thread mixed with Golden Seal in teas creates a violent distaste for alcoholic drinks. A few grains of epicae added to liquids nullifies all desire for liquors.

You think it works? Where can I get some? J/k Just made me smile. I was thinking I should have played a really mean trick on G when he was still drinking. He would have wondered why his drinks tasted so bad.

I need this one.

Cigarette Habit: Before breakfast take 1/2 teaspoon each rochelle salts and cream of tartar; also chew ginseng root and swallow the juice.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Don't know if sryup of epicac will nullify the desire to drink, but one thing's for surure--it'll make him puke.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, if he got violently sick EVERY time he drank it might work. Ipecac is sold over the counter at any drug store. My God what a horrible thing to go through!

Don't know about any of those others or what they might do.

Kellye
Old 05-04-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We administered a small amount epicac to my nephew on the recommendation of his pediatrician years ago when he had croup. About 30 minutes later, he nearly busted a gut puking. My sister and I learned an important lesson that night about epicac:

Never give a toddler fruit punch and then administer epicac. It left a nice red stain on her living room carpet.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had no idea what epicac was until I read your other posts. I looked it up after. No wonder you don't want a drink, you're too busy throwing your guts out. The other two from what I can tell make alcohol bitter.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just curious ... does the epicac discolor the drink or give it an "off" taste. My AH pukes anyway after he's been on an extended bender and it doesn't seem to bother him. On the other hand, "spiking" every drink may have some effect. If I puked or retched everytime I took a drink, I think I'd quit drinking pretty quick. On the other hand, an addiction being what it is ....
Old 05-04-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's used to induce vomiting for children with croup to help break up the secretions in their chests or to induce vomiting when a toxic substance has been ingested.

Common table salt or salt water also can be used to induce vomiting, as can pickle juice, which my daughter learned by accident when she accidentally picked up an open pickle jar instead of her water glass and took a big swig while she was reading a book. Thirty minutes later, she puked her brains out.

I wouldn't trust what I read on the net or administer epicac to anyone without checking with a pharmacist or doctor first.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Epicac ..yuck. I was kind of a nosy child, very curious..I was at a friends house who had some mushromms growing in the yard. My mom had always put mushrooms in my food, so I thought it would be fine to eat the ones in the yard.
Clearly, not so much. I was given epicaca and puked my guts out.

Now, as for the cigarettes..I may try that Aq~
Old 05-05-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

He quit?

G when he was still drinking.
I missed the important piece here.
Has he quit drinking?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Aquiana, you should have Epicac at home just in case your son ingests something. It's something you might want to speak to your pediatrician about.

I always had it with my kids, thankfully I never had to use it.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well here I learned something! I had no idea what the stuff was. I'll have to look into it, I mean as far as having some for the baby if he eats something he shouldn't. I'm sure he probably will. I know when I was a kid I drank a bottle of Head & Shoulders shampoo. Yuck! Don't ask me how I did that. Maybe that's what happened to me? lol

G hasn't been drinking as far as I know. We aren't together all the time so it's pretty hard to know 100% but he seems to be really trying to keep himself away from it. He is still going to meetings and still working with a sponser. He admits to having a drink a couple of weekends ago. Apparently he says since spring has come and it's getting sunny and hot, that he's having a harder time fighting the urge. One of his favorite things to do is sit out in the sun with a beer. He seemed genuinely upset about the drink, and after he had it he went to his sponser's house to talk about it. The sponser told him he isn't any worse than everyone else there but he does need to start over again with his material. They had him dig out all of his rehab stuff, surprising since I would have thought he threw it out, and he was told to work through it all from the start. He got a new job that he starts Monday that is way better than the one he had. He's determined not to screw it up. Time will tell if he can make it. Spring/summer I think will be a real test.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just so you know, before using epicac syrup to induce vomiting, you should always check with the poison control center, usually an 800 # in the phone book and your pediatrician should have one also.

Sometimes poisons are ingested accidentally and it is not recommended to induce vomiting. Always best to check with the folks who know, ie; the poison control center.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

Induced vomiting is a _really_ bad idea without a doc's supervision cuz there may be wounds in the digestive tract that would rip open from the muscle contractions. Especially with alkies who may already have all kinds of problems in the esophagus and stomach.

As far as a cure for smoking, you could always volunteer at the nearest lung cancer unit of a hospital

Mike
Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Poison Control # 1-800-222-1222 Nation Wide I think. When I call they have a pharmacist too.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Aquiana,

Does G. like iced tea? IMO, nothing beats cold sun tea on a sunny day - and not nearly as many calories as beer!!

And congrats on him making such progress and committing himself to this (and owning up to his own slippage instead of trying to hide it - a very good sign!)
Old 05-05-2006, 09:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The psychiatrist my AH sees said they used to do "aversion therapy" with alcoholics. They would put them on Antabuse and then make them drink alcohol and they would get sick and vomit.

My AH relapsed about a week agao. The next morning, he was pouring out the remaining alchol into the sink and vomited. He said he has not wanted any alcohol since and it makes him sick to think about it. I wonder how long it will last. The memories are quite short for addicts.