Panic Attack or Alcohol withdrawl???

Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic Attack or Alcohol withdrawl???

It was the scariest thing I think I've ever seen... My ABF and I were driving to my sisters house on Saturday night when he started panicking in the car. He was sweating, twitching and his hands started cramping. His fingers were straight but cupped together... Like his pinky touching his thumb. He was trying to smoke and chew gum and it was just awful... He starting rocking in the seat and asked to me pull off the highway and stop at a convenience store - so we did. I offered to go and get him what he needed but he insisted on doing it himself. He grabbed an apple and a coke. When he got the counter the clerk asked it he was ok - he played it off and said he had cramps in his hands. He couldn't even get the money out of his wallet. When he got back the car I was so scared - I was ready to call 911. He looked at me and said "This is why I drink"... I told him I thought it was a byproduct of the drinking...

What was this??? Was he having a panic attack, was it the onset of a seizure or just flat out withdrawl???
Old 04-24-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

alcohol or panic attack

Hi Honey, It sounds to me as if your friend is going through alcohol withdrawal, which if not treated can be very dangerous. It does mimic panic attacks, and the way it is usually treated is with a detox protocol of librium,as well as an intense program. I do not know the story behind this but if you wish to share with me I may be able to help. I do work in the health care field and if alcohol is stopped suddenly, it can result in seizures, thus the librium which controls the seizures as well as the panic that goes along with withdrawal. I hope this helps you a bit. All the best and please know that I am here if you need me.All I can do is try. Bless, Nan
Old 04-24-2006, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG--I often wondered about this. AH would have this during the night, sometimes and also would be this way when he got home from work (he was a nightly drinker..as soon as he got home.) His "explaination" was the the kids and I "made" him drink. Of course we didn't believe that and I often wondered if 24 hours was pushing it for being with out something to drink. He is/was the boss and owner and also drives a great deal for work and controlling his public/business image is key,so I doubt if he nipped during the day.

About the time this started, he moved out of our house to "help him not drink"..hmmmmmmm. That was several years ago.he is still drinking and doesn't plan to stop.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This really interests me... I will be watching this post..thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow... So my suspicion was correct. I've been doing my best to detach from him but when I saw him in that condition, all I wanted to do was help him, not say - "this is the bed you made, now..." I've spoken with him about seeing a doctor. I hope he does. It seems the more they drink the harder it is to come off the buzz which, makes them want to drink more so they don't have to go through the physical pain. Just a cycle of drinking and drinking. How sad... It just hurts to see someone do this to themselves... We're splitting up this summer and I'm afraid, really afraid that he will drink himself to death after we separate when I'm not there to "babysit" anymore...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Any time I can listen

I was in the same boat for many years so any time you need to talk and I am on line day or night please feel free my e mail is bronxbbabe******.com. Please understand that it is not your fault. You are fighting the good fight which is all we can do Bless, Nan
Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Aww... Thanks Nan... I appreciate it... You are very sweet and seem very knowledgeable. I may ask you for some insight in the near future...
Take care, Anguished
Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Withdrawal can and frequently does cause panic attacks - however not being a medic there's no way by a description to tell the difference.

The thing is that although alcohol can temporarily relieve panic it delivers it back with interest. If it was me I'd take it seriously that he feel this is why he drinks. Does he know that panic is VERY treatable? Does he know alcohol actually makes it worse as it wears off?

If he's historically self medicated panic with alcohol he might not be aware.

Just my take on it. OBVIOUSLY if he'll go for help that is the best solution!!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

equus,
We've had several discussions lately about the panic attacks and alcohol. I've mentioned to him that it is treatable with medication and some behavioral modifications - relaxation techniques, etc... He seems pretty on the fence about seeing a doctor so I'm not pushing at this point. I have mentioned to him that maybe medication would be the solution. The only problem with that is he won't even take a stinking tylenol for pain! He's actually had teeth pulled and thrown away the pain medications. He hates pills... So, it's always something with him. Oh - yes - I forgot.. He did mention that he prefer not to take medication because it was bad enough that he was an alcoholic - he didn't want to be a "pill-popping junkie" too. WHATEVER!!! -sigh-
Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anguished
We're splitting up this summer and I'm afraid, really afraid that he will drink himself to death after we separate when I'm not there to "babysit" anymore...
Please try not to take on this guilt. Your "babysitting" will not prevent him from drinking himself to death. It might prolong it, but that's about it. It has to be his choice to live, not your choice to control him.

Just a little food for thought.

L
Old 04-24-2006, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa
Please try not to take on this guilt. Your "babysitting" will not prevent him from drinking himself to death. It might prolong it, but that's about it. It has to be his choice to live, not your choice to control him.
God that it soooooo true!!! I wish I could think like you... I wish I could stand outside and look in and not be so emotional about this...
Old 04-24-2006, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

I'm with E on this, from my own experience anxiety brought on from withdrawal; is what it was for me anyway.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Anguished, I can't really comment on your first post as I have no experience of that situation - although I will say that my first thought was withdrawal. If that is the case, then do not be afraid to call 911 if you feel it necessary.

I do know something about the fear of something happening to those we are close to, though it has nothing to do with addiction in my case. I do a lot of sailing with my family. Often we are a long way from help should anything happen, or we are in conditions that would make help almost impossible. Things happen quickly on boats and all it takes is one slip and you are over the side. My dad and my brother sometimes (in my mind) get complacent about moving about on deck in rough weather without a harness and it terrifies me. They did it again last weekend and I realised something very profound - a large part of my fear is that I wouldn't be able to handle it (emotionally or practically) if something happened to one of them. My feelings seemed to be selfless, but in actual fact, they were very much about me. I have to come to terms with a) letting them do what they choose and b) finding that inner strength to know that I can handle the worst that could happen.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The last couple years my AH also started with the heavy sweating and hand twitching in the morning. I've since learned that is the body crying out for alcohol. He used to say it was because he was hungry. I repeated that to my therapist and she said "do you sweat and twitch when you're hungry?" Denial is a funny thing for everyone involved.

I'm sorry you've been going through this. It isn't easy.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Minnie - I know exactly what your saying... I need to let go and let him live his life. I can't dictate to his what to do or what not to do. I need to make peace with that...

Denny57 - Denial is a funny thing. I think he and I are both in denial... But, atleast I admit it, acknowledge it and want to learn from it. I want my life back...