Could I be a begger? Off Topic.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Could I be a begger? Off Topic.

Looking through jobs last night my heart sank, I feel lost to match who I want to be with a career, I know I want change.

But I did see one advert that stuck in my mind, I checked it out on the net and there's no complaints about the company but alot to make me think it's genuine. They are looking for street fundraisers - a service they provide to charities - begging.

I remember my Sri Lankan friend telling me about his country's health care, he said it was 'no problem'. If someone is sick his family or friend make a book telling about what's needed then they beg for it, from the village, the community and sometimes tourists (although many approaching tourists are fake - some are not!). He talked about his duty to pay what he could, he talked about the man who sang at his daughter's wedding because he had helped pay for a transplant, he talked about how the person who's sick can't be the one to have to ask, he talked about the time as a boy he'd had to make his own book for his father. His country's system was clear and effective to him and he laughed saying sometimes there just is no money so a person dies - 'that's life'. I was such a straight up westerner with so many attitudes about the whole thing - but I saw something else too watching his generosity to beggers.

If it didn't check out, if the money wasn't really going to charities, if I found any scam - there'd be no way I would do it. To do it at all would be a big wage cut, but I think we could still pull together to eat and be happy.

I've learned so much about children who can't ask, about people in countries who are poor, they can't travel and ask, when they ask us in their own country they are often met with abuse. I believe we need to give because we have too much money, too many things - I think fear of losing any of it is sending folk a little bonkers.

Could I be a begger? Could I ask on behalf of people that can't? I want to do it to be happy, to be at peace with myself, to learn how to make my whole life follow where I want to go. It would be a simple job, no politics, no presentations, no references (except a few), no battles to fight, no new ground to make - just begging and not having to starve to do it. And every success would mean both the person who gave had a little REAL pleasure and the person recieving had something worthwhile.

It seems such a radical idea I'm wondering if I've lost the plot! But I have their number with me, and there's something about it - something about the things I want to learn and things I don't want in me anymore.

Is it nuts?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is it nuts?
hehehe...

who knows.. ;o)

E...
because I have a Higher Power I depend on... I pray about the stuff I'm totally not sure of.. and then I wait for an answer...

sometimes the answers are blindingly clear...
sometimes it's just a glimmer of an answer...
sometimes.. I just gotta keep checking it out until the answer becomes clear enough to make my decision...

I'm unsure of what to say to you about your path... ;o)
but..I am saying a prayer to my HP to ask that he send you some clarity around your path.

.. and I really like your Sri Lankan friend's way of coming at life...
Old 12-15-2005, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suppose the attraction is like climbing a hill, or going to a new country. I've looked at fundraisers in town and thought how soul destroying it must be. But then I looked at people with no money and USED to think the same. Odd how a person can so quickly forget how happy they were before they had money - I didn't own a bed till I was 27! Five years later when D returned I had become miserable, but also a proffessional and a home owner.

D losing his job made me tackle lack of money again and brought with it some of the pleasure I used to have, living simply and taking pleasure in the richness of life rather than new clothes and stuff - and I found pleasures I'd never expected. Not least of which are the great presents we've managed to get for everyone second hand, or maybe the best bit was learning to pluck my own poultry, it could be auctions though?

If I could learn to stand, and be despite all that's around me, despite cold or heat and just ask as kindly as I could for someone else, if I could keep humanity and compassion regardless and take absolute pleasure in generosity I did find, if I could be of service and happy with just that simply - maybe I would learn something. Something I think my wise Sri Lankan friend knew.

I don't want the challenge of career, of being big, of being proffessional anymore. I'd love to see if I could grow by living what I want to learn.

But then I just wander if I'm being carried away wanting something so opposite of what I have because right now my work makes me so unhappy except for the rare moments I'm allowed to do my job.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I have a great respect for beggars. We call them panhandlers in this country.
Often the poorest folks on the street are addicts, and they only way they can keep a roof over their heads is by begging. It must be a very hard job, on the street, approaching thousands of people a day, dealing with constant rejection, and probably dealing with a lot of negative attitudes from people. It's not a job I would willingly choose.

However, it sounds like the job is "calling" to you. If you tried it, and you didn't like it, then you could walk away.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that's my problem - it is calling me but I wonder if I'm hearing voices!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi E,
I always enjoy your posts. You seem very clever.
Certainly I can't tell you what you should do, but I can say this. Sometimes I feel so compelled to find a career that does more to help people. So I definitely understand where you are coming from. Could you volunteer a bit of your time to see if A) it was legitimate; B) it was something you enjoyed; and C) something you could do all day every day. If it is truly to benefit a charitable organization, surely they would accept volunteer help.

I admire your intentions, E.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd love to see if I could grow by living what I want to learn.
I think that's your answer right there E.. ;o)

I also am in a situation that is way outside the status quo...
but.. for me.. it has been the most life expanding experience...

I also have gone from chasing stuff to meandering through life...
I wanna stop and pick a daisy...
and then I wanna take my time smellin it...

oh wait.. do daisy's smell..?? lol

see.. one more thing I must explore... ;o)

My truth today is to align myself with God's will... and then I'll be doing whatever it is that adds to my highest good...
it works without fail... lol

and I can just relax and wander along behind God...

quit with the hypervigilance... and take time to play.. while I let God's love flow through me to the others that rub up against me...

This is what my spirit yearns for.....

that amazing connection to God and to the rest of Creation...

I try to honor that.. whichever way feels right today.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That can be a bit hard for me because I don't believe in a god. That doesn't mean I'm unaware of having things to learn and I DO believe REAL pleasure comes from playing a positive part in this world. I don't think we have souls but I think the effects of the life we lead are ongoing and in that sense become our immortality - for that to be good the effects have to be good.

I think I have a bit of a problem in not really liking 'things' all that much - I enjoy them but briefly then don't mind them going. Mortgage and stuff still feels new to me and started to make me afriad of losing stuff, the capitol that's in the house feels like a responsibilty, something I have to protect, something that's kept me stuck here (at my work).

I haven't rang yet - I'm still scared but it hasn't been out my mind for long today and the feeling it's what I want has got stronger.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I forgot to say. I talked with D last night about the situation at work and the move. He said he wants more than anything for me to be happy, that he wants to take back responsibilty and that he's happy for me to earn a much lower wage. This job bothered him though because he felt it wasn't safe, that I could get attacked in town or might have to go to houses. But I never really get trouble - people bend over backwards to help mostly.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That can be a bit hard for me because I don't believe in a god.
I realize that E.... ;o)

But.. seeking that deeper connection is the same as what I'm doing.. so..
different paths.. same destination...??? ;o)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not got any advice one way or the other Eq, thought I'd do an AskJeeves search on "street fundraisers" and guess what turned up! soberrecoveryforums! maybe it's karma or kismet or summat!
You have the heart and the "gift of the gab" enough to do it if you want to.
Saw this article too in my wanderings.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3654015.stm
Go with your gut duck!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I aggree with D your happiness is very important. If you aren't feeling fullfilled at your current job a salary cut may be worth your wellbeing. After a try you may love it, you may want to have a back up plan in case you may deceided it is indeed dangerous. Look at the want ads to see if many jobs are available. Who knows after a month or two you may find it wasn't as great as anticipated. Or your may find helping people very rewarding!!! Sometimes taking risks is scarey but you need to be happy in your profession!!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you ALL!!

Right now I decided to sit on it for the weekend. We're off to the hills (literally) to see D's parents, it'll give chance for things to settle and me chance to fully enjoy the visit.

Off the off topic - It'll be the first visit since D's Dad got his hearing aid and I can't wait to see what a difference it makes. They talked on the phone for the first time in years a while back, despite knowing his Dad had gone deaf D really didn't realise HOW deaf and had thought his Dad didn't WANT to talk to him on the phone! On the flipside D's Mum said that NOW his Dad can hear he realises why people were shouting at him - for years the daft bugger thought everyone was cross with him! Uhmmmmmm.... no-one told me daftness was hereditory!!