A chat with my doctor.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile A chat with my doctor.

I went to see my doc this morning because I wanted to ask about AD's. They put me on 20mg citalopram as a precaution because (more than one doc) they felt it would give me extra resilliance and if I got unwell our joint situation would be seriously at risk. I complied, I understood what they meant and although it felt funny to be on AD's when they said I wasn't appearing to be out of whack, I wanted the least possible risk of becoming ill too.

Because things have improved so much for us I wanted to review it with an open mind. I'm lucky in that because of the controversy over D being refused treatment they all know his situation backwards which means I'm not explaining what's happening and can concentrate on me.

As I mentioned here I talked about sudden confidence flops but she felt I shouldn't worry at the moment. If I still felt it was a problem I wanted to address in a month or two to raise it again. She felt if it was only odd occassions I might just be supersensitive to it at the moment because of recent events; having had what she considered far too much responsibility dropped at my door by the health system's failure.

I tried to be really open that mostly I've felt very good but sometimes my emotions can't quite catch up with the speed things have happened and I feel concerned it's going to fall apart. Again she said I needed to give it time because she thought I had a very natural response. She suggested I stay on the AD's because she thought my instincts that things weren't as solid as they look could be based in reality not just reaction. She felt if we had stabilty right now there were few reasons to change things, she also felt that stability is pretty vital to the turn around lasting so there were many reasons to keep what we can as it is.

I was left still wondering if they feel I'm out of whack (depressed) but aren't saying. I said again that I want to know if being subscribed AD's is more than just precaution - that I REALLY do want to know if I seem off balance. Her reply was to tell me alot about citalopram and why it would act to make me more resistant to the situation and to tell me she didn't think there was anything worrying about how I was reacting. She said her greatest concern was to do whatever was possible for me because she felt what happened with D not getting treatment was intolerable. She also said to be hopeful and aim for D getting to the few days break at christmas so he has chance to regroup himself.

I came out feeling like I have a doctor on my side, one willing to give me advice even though they shouldn't really regarding another patient (only his own doc because of signed consent). She's arranged it so I have access, she went through the same thing with a family member herself and even as a doc had to resort to taking them to ER and having a screaming match until someone did something. I feel relieved. I feel supported - and I feel like my health really counts.

That seems to me like damn good doctoring!!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's good news, E. You're lucky to have a doctor that truly listens and takes your best interest to heart.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah - I think I am pretty lucky! I've sort of adopted this doc because I feel so comfortable with her. I liked my last doc too for many of the same reasons but I always left with a sense he worried too much and although I didn't mind it was embarassing because he always tried to convert me, I would feel awkward saying no thanks but thanks for the thought!

I think with this doc her telling me she'd been in the same position made a huge difference (I can't tell anyone IRL that because it was in confidence), none the less she gets it and has DONE things to make sure I've got whatever possible back up they can offer.

It sort of struck me today that although it's only five minutes or so both times I've seen her I come away feeling better in myself. I think that rocks!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think when someone has had the same experiences as we have, it is much
easier to convey our feelings and concerns with them. We walk away feeling understood. I think the AD's will be helpful to you....E...don't you know how much has been depleted from you in the last several months.....you may certainly benefit from
a little boost.....glad all is going so well .....
Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a doctor who listens to the patient and tries to understand is truly a blessing. I think you are doing the right thing. You have been through so much.