how far to rock bottom?

Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how far to rock bottom?

My brother continues to use drugs and alcohol excessively everyday. His health is in grave danger. I guess we are waiting for him to hit "rock bottom" but how far do we let him fall, I'm guessing his next step down is death.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hope2109....
Sorry no one answered right quick. Happens sometimes.

I would have to say, I have no idea what to tell you.
Have you talked to a alcohol counselor about intervention?? Intervention kinda difficult, but if enough are willing it can work.
Does he threaten to committ sucide??? If so someone can have him taken into protective custody, then perhaps from there sent to a rehab.

All I can say is talk to your Al-Anon group. Some get extremely bad, yet live.
If still breathing there is still hope.
Perhaps tell us more.
Love and Hugs
Old 10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

(((hope)))

I am sorry to say that no matter how many join in intervening the choice is still up to your brother.

I know first hand how hard it is to watch loved ones die from alcoholism. But the hope in all that is whether you can find serenity, accept life on life's terms, and find peace for yourself whether he is still using and/or drinking.
Coming here is a beginning. I urge you to read, read, read about this disease. Try going to some Al-Anon meetings. Read the literature. Keeping posting here. You will find the anwsers for you if you just keep coming back.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

((Hope))

I agree with Daff...education and support...for yourselves. You can't make your brother stop what he is doing. If I could have I would have. For my own son jail is what has slowed him down but he still hasn't stopped completely. He's still out there rolling the dice.

Hugs!
Old 10-29-2005, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope..
I believe it is Dr. Phil that said something to the effect "..sometimes waiting for someone to hit their bottom could be too late, it might be death". He has used interventions very carefully with success. I have known of several people where interventions are what turned the addict around. The famous sportscaster Pat Summerall lives in our area. He has given numerous speeches and interviews where he credits a carefully planned intervention to finally steering him in the right direction after years of alcoholism. I have considered it with my own husband, but the logistics make it difficult. Also, I get the impression that an intervention has to be handled very carefully to get desired results. Sometimes when the addict seems destined to self destruct and should have hit their bottom many times, but still don't respond ... perhaps an intervention is a viable choice.

S.W.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry about your brother. Wish we could all predict teh rock bottom, but unfortunately, it varies for all.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

how far do we let him fall

All the way to the bottom.

Which we dont get to determine how far it is...let go, let God care for him.

Here is how you can care for him and yourself best.....

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/