Made a decision to find a new sponsor

Old 10-04-2005, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a decision to find a new sponsor

I've posted recently on my struggle with my line of sponsorship which requires 3 meetings a week as a condition of sponsorship...

After 15 months in Alanon - I've worked all the steps, held a lot of service positions, gone to quite a few workshops, retreats and conferences and I'm a sponsor myself..I've worked a good program and I've been very involved in my fellowship.

I made the tough decision last night after many months to let my sponsor go..

It was a hard decision for me..I really love and respect my sponsor..She has been a great inspiration to me and has a lot of recovery herself..(12 years in the program)..

We had a brief discussion where I told her of my decision to go to one meeting a week..She gave me some recommendations of other lines of sponsorship that would be more flexible..

Told me I could still call her..

Even though it is the right thing for me in my life right now (I'm not giving up Alanon..just looking for a little more flexibility..My life is way too busy at the moment and the Sunday meetings seemed the only thing I was willing to give up..)

Still hard. I guess I've become kind of dependent on Alanon and my sponsor..which is not what I am looking for in my program of recovery..

So for the moment I'm without a sponsor..kind of sad..

But it gives me an opportunity to check out some other fellowships in the valley and see what they have to offer as well..

I'm keeping my Tuesday night meeting..I love that one.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Minx)))

I think that's a great decision. Because you thought it through and went for the best option, not the easy one. Your old sponsor was there when you needed her for a particular type of sponsorship. Now you need something different.

Good call - you're an inspiration.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Minx, everyone has to make the choice as to how recovery works best for them.
You are doing just fine.
You're making your choices based on your needs at the moment.
I heard Caroline Myss say something intersesting about support groups the other day.
She said, "Support groups are like a river. They are meant to get you from one side to the other. Some people build houseboats on them."