Pet thread - Off topic.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've just looked up patterdale - so where did he get all that hair?! lol
Tell me about it!! We haven't got the foggiest!! Both parents had a wirey short coat but he ended up with a long, silky, messy one and he hates being brushed!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm sure if you could find out his pedigree you'd find where he got the long silky hair from. It had to have been a recessive gene that he carried along with the mating parent.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know back to his grand'parents' on both sides. All were standard Patterdales with the exception of a smooth coated Jack Russel!!

But then a recessive gene can get carried for one hell of a long time.

I would add though to anyone NOT to get a patterdale. They are notoriously difficult dogs bred for work. The person who had him first screwed him up trying to keep him as a pet, once messed up no farm home would have him so I gave him a chance. He has a home for life, I have to have 6 foot fencing around my garden, he can only be walked where no other dogs go, and when the postman comes he 'displays' in order to protect his ground - hence the sofa eating. He also bites the glass and window frame. I have been to every class I could find - he's beautifully obediant until his hunting/protecting instinct is triggered, then all the training becomes a waste of time.

He is now 7 and I now accept that he's lethal around other dogs and pets unless they are sytematically introduced to him first as a friend. He's the only dog I've known to lock on with a full bite without any warning - only with strange dogs though.

Hand on heart - NEVER get a patterdale! I know they are becoming popular workers in the States.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for a bit of fun. Most dogs are beautiful to me, and I love them. All that LOVE we get from them. PRICELESS
clancy46
Old 04-22-2005, 07:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Heres my pride and joy! He is 5 months old and such a comfort to me when I'm sad..I don't know what I would do without him, although he is a handful at times!!!

Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Such awesome photos of all your pets! So nice to have loving dogs, especially during hard times I bet! I wished I had a dog that'd keep me company right this moment. I remember my friend, Jose, who has a huge German Sherpard that just loves you to death. My friend Jose, when he said he was lonely with no one, his dog was always there for him, sitting by his side just starring at Jose with a look of coolness. Jose said he would never forget that and no matter what happens will never forget his dog.

Here's a photo of the kid I had to take care of while the bad mother was away in rehab, its cause of her we had to part, I said my goodbyes to him on the day she was on her way over. I remember talking to him and saying how I love him, while I held back tears, I said I will miss him... and while a tear rolls down my side, I told him I'm sorry but his mother is not a good one and it is because of her we have to part. I love him, and goodbye.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You don't even want to see photos of my ark.

2 dog, 2 cats, 1 parrot, 1 fish , 3 worms who live in a bucket of dirt in the pantry, 2 over active children, 1 unemployed drunk husband and a house full of dirt, fur, toys and feather...oh and the shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry.

I can't even begin to describe my daily routine...Today I am overwhelmed. Althought I must say, aside from the freaking LOUD ASS parrot, the pets are the easier thing in my life...mostly the worms.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JennyK
You don't even want to see photos of my ark.

2 dog, 2 cats, 1 parrot, 1 fish , 3 worms who live in a bucket of dirt in the pantry, 2 over active children, 1 unemployed drunk husband and a house full of dirt, fur, toys and feather...oh and the shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry.

I can't even begin to describe my daily routine...Today I am overwhelmed. Althought I must say, aside from the freaking LOUD ASS parrot, the pets are the easier thing in my life...mostly the worms.
Boy can I relate to this!! 3 dogs (Bojangles, Shakespeare, Trevor), 3 cats (Mama, Lifesaver, Blondie), a ferret (Streak) & a beta fish (Sid Vicious)- no worms though!!! After the death the cockateil (at the hands of the ferret) AH announces he wants a parrot!! I am trying to convince him that is NOT a good idea...

I have fur everywhere..the dogs eat the cat poo - one of the dogs is pooping in my office but I haven't caught anybody yet so I don't know who it is.. one of my cats stalks & attacks my min pin for fun...everybody stalks the ferret & the ferret fears no one! I never seem to have time to clean or grocery shop, my routine starts at 5:20am & I don't stop until 11pm

I had an emergency with Shakespeare last night.. his toe nail was just hanging off his foot, bleeding, in extreme pain... I really started to lose it.. H went out to a bar with his boss.. came home at 7pm drunker than usual so he was NO help.. I have zero money with $900 in car payments past due & all I can think of is a huge vet bill (after just paying $300 for shots for the dogs 2 weeks ago)

I took him to the ER Vet, they took him into triage, cut the nail off, stopped the bleeding & told me that they didn't think he would need antibotics but to keep an eye on it.. no charge!! I almost cried when he told me that!

All those hassles & I wouldn't give them up for anything!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

No here is a message I can relate to... :-)

Lets see if I can get pictures of my sweet babies on here.

Lady Jasmyne Tera: Yesterday was her third birthday..so of course she got a cake. I love the look in her eye..and of course, the tongue licking her lips. She is my beautiful Boston Terrier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
puppy cake jazzy.jpg (17.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-28-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

And my newest addition

Maxx the kat... He is fearless...put Jazz right in her place as to who was head of the house.. LOL
Attached Images
Maxx Kitty.jpg (15.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-28-2005, 02:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

LM,
Your Boston is adorable! There is a little Boston puppy right now in our obedience class; she is just adorable!

I love the cake too! Is it from Three Dog Bakery?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I can't figure out how to get the image on here. Help me please. Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

luvmyfurbabies-click on manage attachments, and then upload a pic from your pc; or you can upload your pics onto a free hosting site; I use photobucket.com. If you decide to upload them onto photobucket PM me and I can walk you through it.

Good luck...its easy once you get the hang of it..
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This is a picture of the "Fabulous Five". Their momma couldn't feed them because she was on antibiotics so I hand fed them and couldn't stand the thought of someone mistreating them if I gave them away. They'll be 2 next month. I also have 2 older cats. The 2 dogs are.... Ginger who is an 8 1/2 yo chow, golden mix and Rex who is the newest member. He is a 2 1/2 yo long hair chihuahua that was rescued from a lady that had 6 dogs, 44 cats, no electricity and no water.

Savana, thanks very much!!!
Attached Images
04242005.jpg (17.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 06:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

This is Cocoa, the codependent dog. 1/2 newfoundland, 1/2 "handsome stranger". I adopted her last year. What a JOY !
Attached Images
Cocoa.jpg (9.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 06:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

And the kits: Puff and Snoop. They are 6 months old now - what a wonderful joy.
Attached Images
puf.jpg (13.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Cute pets everyone! As you can tell I LOVE animals! I also have three rescued guinea pigs, and two rescued Rats.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

By george I think Ive got it.

Last edited by emily33; 04-29-2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: learning how to upload images
Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Comit

I am just learning how to upload and resize pictures I am hoping this works.
Attached Images
th_Comitinhiscrate2.jpg (4.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

yep - you did good - now i need to find a picture so i can do it too!