My AH has started his program...

Old 01-06-2005, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My AH has started his program...

Hope you all had a good Christmas & New Year - ours was ok...but am glad it is all over for another year.
AH went into the treatment Centre on Tuesday and it was the hardest thing he/ I have ever done. He knew he really needed to go and we had both resigned ourselves to the fact that he was going to be gone from home for 30 days...but when It came to me actually having to leave him behind, it was heartbreaking. I cried my eyes out. After 5 mins or so, when I had settled down, i got into my car and started the drive home. I put in my Billy Joel CD and about half an hour down the road...I started singing along ( unknownst to myself ) and for a minute I felt free ! A strange feeling, I know - then I told myself I shouldn't be feeling like this and the moment passed.
Our 2 1/2 yr old son has been asking a lot where "daddy" is and I've told him he is at work. He seems to be accepting that for now. We have family visits on a Sunday, so at least he will get to see him them and it won't seem like "daddy" is gone for such a long time.
Starting next wednesday...I have to go to the centre for therapy - not totally sure what it involves yet but it is from 11.30 am until 4pm and there is group and individual sessions - AH will also be involved.
My Dad and sister are rocks of strength to me and I am so lucky to have a good family behind me. AH's parents & SIL are a bit different...although they have been good offering to help with our son and anything else....it's a too little too late as far as I am concerned. Very few of my friends know what's going on and only my boss at work knows ( she has been marvellous allowing me the time off for the therapy ) it's not like I am ashamed or anything - but the less people that know, the less I have to explain.
All I can say is that I am hopeful.......I cannot ask for anything else at this stage.

thanks for listening
Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sending positive vibes to you and your family. It's a wonderful thing.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Buster

I am so pleased for you and your husband.

When the Alcoholic in a relationship enters recovery there is genuine hope for you both. I am sure you will each grow during the time he is away.

This is a big step for you. I pray that you can have a happier future together. For now, just take it 1 day at a time and look after yourself.

Rich
Old 01-06-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

buster - first off i pray that your family can all start to recover and continue to. i don't think you should have felt guilty for feeling free. you are free from some of the chaos the disease brings. sing away!

good luck - hope to be in your shoes someday!

hugs - cwohio :hoo
Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Buster,

My wife went into a 30 day program...Sober since...oh yea, that was 14 months ago...30 days now, can be a godsend...Good Luck to you and him..........
Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My husband just entered inpatient treatment a week ago...it is what I have always believed he needed to do, as trying to quit on his own just never quite did the trick...I (we) are hopeful, and he is doing very well so far. He has had 3 weeks sober! I am going for family counseling too, and have turned around from hating our life to being anxious to get at it and enjoy some time together for once! We are fortunate that he got into the program, and I am so glad he finally wanted it, and needed it badly enough to do it on his own. YAY! Best of luck to you, too!!!