Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

A decade later the drunk still wants friends & family to share their consequences

A decade later the drunk still wants friends & family to share their consequences

Old 03-04-2024, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over a decade since the drunk's last known dui in which their license was suspended got back in less than a year by completing the states dui program with no restriction. They declared bankruptcy a year or two later. But has had several well paying jobs, gigs etc that would pay over 6 figures a year if year round. They have done nothing to restore their credit which means no credit card and for simple things like renting a car, van etc. Several years after putting their and inherited stuff in storage they feel me out for renting a van to get their stuff out. They also by shear luck were on the policy of. a deceased parent and inherited their house which they used for various reasons. Yet they told me several years they got another address and everything in their name including a new car.

After a recent a call they told me about some medical issues(frequently used for sympathy/set up to ask for a favor). Sure enough by the end of conversation it drifted into things like looking for someone's local address to use for insurance and other purposes(Which they told me they had done several years ago. They also briefly spoke about being so busy they missed car payments(which explain an 800 number call asking for them less than a month prior-apparently they are using me as an emergency contact, my address or worse used me or deceased parent as a cosigner since they have the ss numbers for estate paperwork). They wouldn't go into details of the deal that got them a new car and now I'm wondering. It's over decade since their duis and financial trouble and one would think after several good jobs, 'clean' driving record they would want to independent especially being over 1/2 century old.

They are almost social security eligible and still talking like a juvenile trying to act like a adult. And apparently still drinking-alot because if they don't hear what they want during a conversation they go off.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear phrases like 'drawn back into' . Physically detaching from the person ie being out of the daily life and physical presence is very important. But even years after one must maintain clear cut boundaries or they will continue to test and probe for favors.-
Old 03-04-2024, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This person annoys me just reading what he's up to lol

But seriously, I'm sorry you have to deal with this thequest.