Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Psychiatrist Chris Palmer, MD: Alcoholism is a Mental Illness

Old 03-03-2023, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It has never resonated with me that alcoholism is a “disease,” but evidence that it is a mental illness is interesting to me- and it makes so much sense, considering that many alcoholics have other syndromes including OCD, anxiety, depression, etc. I thought these were side-effects of alcohol abuse but Dr. Palmer discusses how alcoholism itself is a symptom of mental illness.

Dr. Palmer has had success in treating severe mental illness using the ketogenic diet, which makes sense considering that keto was discovered to successfully treat or significantly reduce epilepsy symptoms, and many psychiatric drugs were developed for epilepsy treatment. It also makes sense to me when considering that alcohol withdrawal can cause brain seizures, etc.

I thought I’d share here in case anyone else finds this research extremely helpful in understanding the alcoholic in their life:

“Brain Energy explains this new understanding of mental illness in detail, from symptoms and risk factors to what is happening in brain cells. Palmer also sheds light on the new treatment pathways this theory opens up—which apply to all mental disorders, including anxiety, depression, ADHD, alcoholism, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, autism, and even schizophrenia. Brain Energy pairs cutting-edge science with practical advice and strategies to help people reclaim their mental health.”

The Model Health Show with Shawn Stevenson interviewed Dr. Palmer in January, as did Stanford neuroscientist Dr. Andrew Huberman. You can find these interviews on their podcasts. Both are excellent.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, this is interesting and I will check it out