Detox options

Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox options

What do people with no insurance go for detox?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Salvation Army and some charities have free in-house rehab—basic but effective I hear. Try googling and see what is in your area

I had no money for co-pay and had to keep working so I did it on my own as many here do. I didn’t realize how unsafe cold turkey detox was back then so you may want to have the person do a hospital detox if they want to stay at home.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some doctors will prescribe a week's worth of inexpensive at-home medications for detox...it depends on where you live and the relationship the addict has with a doctor.

If you are in the U.S. insurance should be available at low cost, this month through December is the window for signing up. I'd call the state insurance number.

Detox can be life threatening. I don't think Salvation Army does detox, but they do have a rehab program. I agree, call them and get info.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

ActiveLearner.......for clarification.....detoxification (detox) and rehabilitation (rehab) are not the same thing.
Detox is medical supervision and treatment for the withdrawl symptoms that occur when a person stops drinking alcohol.
Rehabilitation is a kind of program that the operson attends---either as an impatient program or an outpatient program.
****Some impatient programs include detoxification and rehabilitation----others do not.

Basically, rehabilitation is for preparing the person with the tools that they can use to maintain ther sobriety as they enter recovery from alcoholism.
Rehabilation programs are a good first step. It is important to know that, even after detox and rehab, it is vital that a person attend and ongoing program such as AA in order to make the kinds of changes that enable them to live in sobriety. If there is no ongoing program after rehab, it is very likely that the person will relapse.

I don't know where you live, but if you live within the United States, I suggest that you go to the government website for the county that you live in.
All counties will have a section for the services that they offer families and individual residents.
Look for the sections that offer drug and alcoholism services----they will all have something.
There will be listed social workers for the various services; Contact one of the social workers and tell them what you are looking for. They will be knowlegable about the services offered within your county. They will be willing to help and advise you.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In US many or most states have state run detox, rehab facilities. You often have to go through you local state mental health facility.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I detoxed at home. Took about a week. I was pretty ill. I would have phoned ambulance if needed. (I am in UK).

Then the real work started after the detox. The program of recovery.