Can the stress of all this make you sick?

Old 09-15-2021, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can the stress of all this make you sick?

Hi guys....Did anyone else experience physical illness often after their Q left. My soon to be ex AH left me 3 months ago and I think that the acute stress or shock has worn off and now I feel really weak. Today I was so weak and so tired and so numb emotionally that my body actually felt achy. It was so bad I got a covid test. It was negative but that is how off I feel. I mean it could just be a bug I suppose or maybe just pushing through all the pain for so long .. I looked up all the symptoms of chronic stress and I had every single one... Anyone else? How did you get through it?
Old 09-15-2021, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good question Kaya. I don't think I got physically ill per se but man oh man I sure was barely surviving.

Have an internet hug lady for whatever it is worth.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovelyKaya33333 View Post
Hi guys....Did anyone else experience physical illness often after their Q left. My soon to be ex AH left me 3 months ago and I think that the acute stress or shock has worn off and now I feel really weak. Today I was so weak and so tired and so numb emotionally that my body actually felt achy. It was so bad I got a covid test. It was negative but that is how off I feel. I mean it could just be a bug I suppose or maybe just pushing through all the pain for so long .. I looked up all the symptoms of chronic stress and I had every single one... Anyone else? How did you get through it?
Very much so. A month or two after my late AH passed, I became ill. To help me recover I ramped my self care right up. It was already good but I found ways to increase it. I took anti- inflammatory medications for a while which I think did help. Lots of water, good foods, rest, gentle exercise, worked hard with sponsor to clear out the emotional side of it. My joints were locked up and very painful as they released. Lots of physical pain. Also as the trauma released itself from my body there was incredible pain. I have never experienced anything like it before.

My neighbour who was with an abusive alkie for about 15 years is terribly ill. He left her about six months ago and her body has broken down. She has been in hospital, lots of tests, medication regime. One half of her body is numb and dropped as if she has had a stroke. The consultants have ruled a stroke out, it is all the stress on her body for all that time. (She is young, btw)

I recall at my Al-anon home group, so many ladies had been through cancer and many illnesses. All down to stress.

Needless to say, I am now very careful who I allow in my life. When AH passed I also cleared out the other toxic people plus some people I hadn't realised were toxic.

Funny when I first started feeling ill after he passed, like you I did a Covid test to just to check. That my first thought. Although I had Covid about 18 months ago and it didn't anything like this did.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ve lost a bunch of weight in recent months from stress and it’s made me sick so- yes! It’s a thing. Right now I’m processing a new break-up but thanks to coping strategies learned in therapy and a solid support system I’m handling it so much better than I would have in the past. Lean on your support, don’t neglect sleeping regularly or eating. Be kind to yourself, as if you were caring for someone else. Try coping strategies to minimize obsessive thinking.

I’m sorry for what you’re going through!
Old 09-15-2021, 10:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lovelykayla......I know that I might be speaking to the wind, here.....but, if you haven't had a physical exam and talk with a doctor, then I rhink it might be a good idea.
Stress does make one very vulnerable to lots of illnesses...but, don't just assume because you have been under stress that it has to be "just stress".
I have been in the medical field for my whole life, and I have seen so many people who come with actual medical illnesses who were thinking it must have "just been the stress".
"Weak and tired" are symptoms of so many conditions that they could fill this whole page.

I'm just saying.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Visit to a doctor is in order. I once got so stressed out I got shingles - That's a five- or six week experience on its own.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also agree you should visit your doctor. Stress generally makes it easier for other things to get you sick. Chronic stress causes issues all its own as well. It's definitely a good plan to talk to a professional about it.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you guys... I have a chiropractic appt tomorrow as well as a neurological one
Old 09-17-2021, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It certainly made me physically unwell Kaya. I was off work for 6 months, whilst numerous scans and other tests were done. I developed a chronic condition, which has the same symptoms as MS. It was quite a scarey time actually, and I was in alot of pain, couldn't walk the length of myself, stiff and painful limbs, speech was affected etc. Triggered by stress .
We go along dealing with the chaos of someone else's addiction, but it sure can take it's toll on our physical and mental health.
I hope your appointments go well.
Much Love
Bute x