Treatment Suggestions?

Old 08-10-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Treatment Suggestions?

Hello All !!!

I am so sorry I have not posted here lately, but I guess in all honesty that's probably a good thing?? My guy is now a little over 12 years clean/sober and we are still going strong together after 11 years. Healthiest (and longest) relationship I've ever been in.

Fortunately I'm not here today because of him... someone else in my life is in desperate need of treatment but they have a bit of an unusual circumstance... they are also a Type 1 diabetic and so the alcohol wreaks extra havoc on their body (they have been recently hospitalized for ketosis and they have also recently needed a glucagon shot to bring them out of a coma-like low).

I am wondering if anyone can suggest any addiction/alcohol treatment centers that also specialize in medical conditions? I know that might be a tall order, but I'm grasping at straws trying to find someplace they could go for treatment. This person's demons begin with the diabetes and end with the alcohol. They have been diabetic for over 30 years (since they were 9) but still have not accepted it, nor how to live properly with it. I feel like these issues need to be addressed together and not separately as they are so strongly linked, almost as though it's a symbiotic relationship.. (one issue feeds the other in a vicious cycle).

Looking for suggestions on any place in North America if it exists... (hopefully this type of suggestion is allowed on here??)

Thank you so much my soberrecovery friends!

Tatertot
Old 08-10-2021, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your friend needs the help of a mental health professional, for sure...but unless he or she is willing to go of his own accord, there's really nothing you can do for him. The impetus can't come from you, it must come from the patient.

You have my sympathy. My neighbor wished for the same kind of help for her step-dad, whom she felt great affection for- he raised her as one of his own. He was of the same mind-set. He didn't care if he was diabetic, he was going to do what he wanted to do, and no one could convince him otherwise. He has since passed away: not before losing parts of both feet and then parts of both legs.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you are witness to this, my late alcoholic husband was diabetic too. He took no notice of the diagnosis. He ended up with all the usual damage that untreated diabetes can create. He lost most of his mobility, he was close to needing to have to go into a nursing home as his care was getting beyond what could be done in the home environment but then he passed away.

Our doctor mentioned that diabetes in alcoholics is quite common. She also said is common for them to ignore it.

As Velma says, unfortunately unless the person himself is willing to find and actively take part in and work at treatment , there is no point. Nothing you can do, it is up to them. They need to take ownership for their own recovery.

Late hub's blood sugar was obviously all over the place. I recall one time when he was hospitalised for a few weeks. The hospital obviously monitored his food sugar intake, also no booze, of course. I remember hubby commenting to me that his numbers got back within the normal range within a few days! He found this amazing, I was like well yeah, that's because you aren't tipping a load of liquid sugar into yourself in the form of booze, and also he used to compulsively eat sugary sweets like Hairbos.

The denial system he was so deeply entrenched in made it impossible for him to see reality. To him the drinking and diabetes happened on its own.

Denial is incredibly powerful.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both, and believe me, I am at a place of acceptance where I know that this person's decisions are their own and that nothing I say or do will likely impact their decisions or behaviors.

I was just wondering if there were any specialized treatment centers I could suggest that they could look into? I am personally not aware of any treatment centers that address treatment of the addiction as well as understanding the medical condition. (Most therapists (in our experience) are not really familiar with Type 1 diabetes, where you need to inject yourself with inuslin every day.)

So honestly just looking for suggestions on any specialized treatment centers if they are out there...

Thank you!

Tatertot
Old 08-15-2021, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honestly, I think you are likely looking at slightly more expensive treatment centers. I would ask specifically people in your area—there are often groups designed to help match addicts with treatment facilities that are the right fit for them (LGBTQ+ friendly, trauma/PTSD informed, holistic health, etc). And any good therapist at any facility should be working on the connection between the two issues psychologically, if there is one.

I typically think of quality in-patient treatment having medical support staff on hand, as well as daily activities and regulated meals. I think the best way to start, is to call a treatment center and ask if they can accommodate a diabetic patient, and go from there.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatertot View Post
I am at a place of acceptance where I know that this person's decisions are their own and that nothing I say or do will likely impact their decisions or behaviors...
I was just wondering if there were any specialized treatment centers I could suggest that they could look into?
Well, setting aside those two conflicting statements...

I suspect that any legit treatment center has a dietician that could provide meals appropriate to a diabetic person.

If you're looking for a place that will babysit the patient 24 hours a day, and lock up inappropriate foods, how useful would that be for a person who needs to learn to accept the realities of his/her condition?