Did inpatient rehab work?

Old 07-05-2020, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did inpatient rehab work?

XAH will be going to inpatient rehab because his attorney essentially had an intervention with him that he had to do this before we proceeded any further in our case because things are that far out of control.

He apparently starts this month and this is his first inpatient anything.

What should I know or expect?

How did it work for the people you know?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There are some who go to rehab after rehab and never give up the drink. There are those who don't go to rehab and through dedication and hard work are able to quit drinking for good.

Rehab isn't a magic pill. It all depends on the determination of the addict. They have to want to stop drinking more than anything else. It all lies within the addict.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like anything, it only works if the alcoholic truly wants to quit for himself and isn’t just doing it because he has to. My ex went to inpatient rehab for 3 months and was successful because even though he had no choice he had gotten to the point that he felt he could no longer go on drinking. So far he is almost 4 years sober.
however, there were also people that the first time they were allowed to go off campus by themselves celebrated that by going to a bar. There were a few who were sent there because family wanted them to and paid for it and they ended up leaving early and going straight back to drinking. One of my ex’s colleagues in his field went to rehab many years ago, on his drive home he got sloshed.

Like I said, if the alcoholic isn’t truly doing it because he or she wants it for themselves, chances that they will succeed are very slim. They might stay clean for a short period of time but recovery is a long and tough process, if he goes to rehab for a month he may be clean at that time but it isn’t enough to have changed his mind set and coping skills to stay clean long term unless he continues daily aa meeting and counseling etc, working a program that is. It will likely take close to a year to see if he has really changed and if it will stick, old habits die hard so they take a lot of work and effort to change for good
Old 07-06-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My partner went to inpatient rehab and so far so good. It is really important to be grounded and remember it is not a magic bullet. There are people in his rehab group who relapsed within a month, some have gone back to rehab (or at least tried to) and there are some who are still sober. He went off his on volition (I had broken up with him at the time and he went a month later). In his words he really was sick and tired of it all and wanted to get rid of it and states several times to me it really wasn't for me and even now is sobriety is not for me. The most important thing you can do is take care of yourself right now. All the best.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My fiancé is 6 days out of a week long stay at an inpatient detox program. He’s doing an Intensive Outpatient Program now. So far, he is working the program hard and it’s all based on his own realization of rock bottom.

I have hope for the first time and I was so relieved that he chose to do this.

However, it’s still not easy with him home. I have a lot of anxiety about it and we are struggling to communicate. So, I’m currently trying my best to work on myself and learn how I can recover too. That’s all I can control!

I encourage you to find a therapist, group therapy, or start with the extensive amount of literature on this site to start learning!
Old 07-14-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went for 4 weeks and it worked but not without a lot of support from my family, friends and, most importantly, an absolute desire on my part to get well and do the hard work after I was home.
It sounds like he might be going due to pressure from his attorney to help with the divorce proceedings?
As everyone else has said, he has to make his own choice to get better. His recovery is in his own hands.
Take care of yourself and let us know how it goes!