longlivediva and how does she deal with the office witch..

Old 12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

longlivediva and how does she deal with the office witch..

hi guys..here's a new one for you all....i work in an office, very corporate...and i work for a few of the managing partners...fortunately, i dont work for the parnter witch..but i deal with the partner witche's assistant who is a total sweetheart...i see how she is treated by the partner witch and it makes me crazy..it actually disrupts my even kiel mood for the day and i find myself trying to cool my heels for about an hour (way too much time to waste on someone else who is miserable) before i can get back to center...part of what helps me is logging on to this site and venting....how does one deal with someone else's bad karma in such a small office? I log on here for starters and i'll chant the serenity prayer or i will go for a walk..thoughts welcomed...LLDiva..
Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, for one thing, don't think that you're the only one who knows about the situation. Chances are the whole office is acutely aware of partner-witch's behaviour and subsequent abuse of her assistant. You're a really nice person to be so concerned about the assistant but honestly, she obviously has self-esteem issues of her own if she's still around taking the abuse. It's too bad the rest of the partners don't realize (or refuse to realize) what the results can be from such a toxic environment, created by partner-witch, because it's surely damaging morale and productivity. I stuck out a job in a similar environment for one year, and finally quit. It was the best thing I did, my new job is MUCH better, congenial work environment, plus more money. You didn't say how long you've been there, but in any event, I'd be looking for another job. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Like Hope said, the girl obviously has self-esteem issues. Who knows!!! She might be living with an A or come from an abusive family/relationship. So getting the current treatment is normal??? for her.

When you get wrapped up in the situation, withdraw physically and mentally. It's tough to do, but it works. One thing I've learned to do and it sounds really stupid, but when I know I'm about to be in a situation that's not good for me or will anger me, I enclose myself in an imaginary bubble that none of these things can penetrate. Once in a while, I'll even throw my arm over my head in an arc creating the bubble. My husband saw me do this several times and just recently asked what I was doing. They say doing it mentally will help, but using the action helps me even more.

I figure that if I walk around throwing my arm in the air, locking myself in my bubble and looking dippy will save me from pain and grief, so be it.

Good luck, Kathy
Old 12-02-2004, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

wow - the bubble thing sounds great - i may have to start using that one! :bravo
Old 12-02-2004, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so on the bubble bandwagon!!
Old 12-03-2004, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Let us not let anyone burst our bubbles! hahahahahaha

Let us not let anyone burst our bubbles! hahahahahaha
Old 12-03-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I once was supervised by a man whose personality was very domineering (he actually would follow people around, who were literallly walking away from a fight, shouting "I am your superior!" I made an effort to think to myself, "What is best for our customer/client? What is best for the business?" And I would do that. There was a tiny bit of manipulation involved. Sometimes it meant waiting until "Bob" was at lunch, and asking his supervisor how to proceed, (since "Bob" was unavailable).

The sad part came later. Eventually, "Bob" was fired. His life became more and more undone, and he was thrown out of his fiance's apartment, had his car reposessed, and ended up homeless. It turns out he was mentally ill.